Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEVASTATING NEWS: Big Bonanza Silver Day Cancelled

Devastating...wow......if this is the worst that has happened to you...consider yourself lucky....

Devastating....is the people who have died trying to shovel out of our Blizzard...people who have lost their homes to fires...hurricanes...people who have lost loved ones from terrible accidents on the road...from drunk drivers...

I could go on...but you get what i mean...or do you...

Devastating.....how Ridiculous!!!!

Valued Contributor

Jewelry spending is discretionary, but then again, isn't most everything sold on QVC? High priced food items that you can buy for a fraction of the cost locally, so-called designer clothing that has a premium price for less than premium quality and design, house brands that can be purchased cheaper elsewhere, brand names that are available on Amazon for less money with free shipping...all are purchased by qvc shoppers with money that probably could be better used elsewhere. 

Personally, I find some of the best buys on QVC are their jewelry items. I may not be "devasated", but I am highly disappointed. If the OP feels worse, then I empathize completely. Yesterday there were hours where only one item was presented-one item for an entire hour. Talk about infomercials!!! What kind of mark up was there on that pressure cooker??

There will be gardening days soon that I won't watch. And of course, more cooking days and more beauty days. If there can be gold events where half the gold is filled with plastic and 20% costs as much as a house payment, then why not honor the tradition of the BBSD? Guess the mark up isn't high enough on the silver jewelry? Or can't they get their pet silver designers to participate with less profit? I don't know the reasons, but I am disappointed. It was a fun day to watch when I could, and look at the pieces online and purchase a few pieces for gifts.

Honored Contributor

It hasn't been a day of NEW items for several years now.  Just a bunch of clearance stuff.  

I'm not surprised.  Disappointed, but not surprised.

Respected Contributor

I miss BBSD, too.  They seemed to have dumped the generic silver (which I can afford) shows and replaced them with designer silver (which is way overpriced, IMO). Recently, they've had some Silver Style shows which I've enjoyed, presenting generic, affordable pieces.  I was hoping those sbows would usher in more such shows.

As for people not buying jewelry from TV any more, well, we're unlikely to buy unless they have jewelry shows, and they have these.  Ripka is still on  but is overpriced, IMO; some Joan Rivers and Barbara Bixby, I guess.  Some Honora.  Hardly the choice or frequency that we used to have, so of course jewelry sales aren't what they used to be.

Valued Contributor

One of the few shows I look forward to. A shame. The Q had so much affordable silver in the past. What fun it was to watch. How about those great southwest jewelry shows? Not designer either at prices you didn't have to agonize about buying or not, just because. I truly miss those days.

Honored Contributor

That's too bad .... but hardly "devastating".

Honored Contributor

@gonnab wrote:

DEVASTATING???!!  Really?   Disappointing, maybe.  Or even frustrating.  But hardly "DEVASTATING"!!.   Losing Big Bonanza Silver Day is hardly worth this drama.

You don't get to choose what other people value. You or I may not find it devastating or even notice it missing, but that doesn't mean we get to choose how the OP feels about it. 

Respected Contributor

@nomless wrote:

I miss BBSD, too.  They seemed to have dumped the generic silver (which I can afford) shows and replaced them with designer silver (which is way overpriced, IMO). Recently, they've had some Silver Style shows which I've enjoyed, presenting generic, affordable pieces.  I was hoping those sbows would usher in more such shows.

As for people not buying jewelry from TV any more, well, we're unlikely to buy unless they have jewelry shows, and they have these.  Ripka is still on  but is overpriced, IMO; some Joan Rivers and Barbara Bixby, I guess.  Some Honora.  Hardly the choice or frequency that we used to have, so of course jewelry sales aren't what they used to be.

Their generic silver styles and prices were the best.  So many pieces were similar to styles featured by the famous little blue box store, for a fraction of the price.  Once QVC began featuring a certain designer, the prices became crazy.

Honored Contributor

Oh, good grief, give the OP a break, maybe she didn't use the proper word, but she obviously is upset!

I certainly don't need any jewelry, but I love my sterling silver and enjoy watching the shows, but I just don't know if I agree with the comment of "people are not buying jewelry"  ............  they really push their "gold" jewelry, I guess silver doesn't bring in the big bucks anymore!  Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

QVC, YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE A LOT OF LONGSTANDING CUSTOMERS DOING ALL THESE CANCELLATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What are you thinking?  We want MORE sterling silver shows, not less, and especially artisan crafted and basic sterling shows, not exorbitant priced Judith Ripka shows over and over and over.  While I enjoy her pieces, and do own some, can't constantly afford them.  BRING BACK BIG BONANZA SILVER AND ALSO SILVER STYLE ON SUNDAYS, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!  Otherwise, other shopping channels will benefit at your expense and stupidity!