Respected Contributor

Re: Custom Jewelry from India? Fake Ring in the Mail?

If you are a seller on ebay/etsy one of the worst things to go wrong is to mix up 2 packages and send them out. Now 2 people are mad at you and don't want to send back the wrong item (without refund first) or send to the other customer and have that customer send your item to you.This only happened to me once selling (I SUPER checked packages before shipping from then on!) and the buyers were nice sent each other the right items. Amazingly it all worked out but this was a long time ago on ebay. The seller you are dealing with has a big mess to work out the best he can. I would just ask for a refund...his mistake. It happens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My ring is out for delivery! USPS.

The other lady received her ring via UPS yesterday.

Turns out I was all wrong about the other ring. It's a new design and the least expensive version of it is $150. So not exactly a cheap ring at all. I guess I judged based on what I like. I'm glad I didn't keep referring to it as a fake brass ring to the seller and other buyer! How inadvertently insulting I was being for a moment! I was too influenced by the shipping insert.

Yesterday I received the other custom ring I ordered a while back from India. It's gorgeous. I am very happy with it. It took longer to create and to get here, but there were no mixups with it.

Update:

It arrived! It's the exact ring in the pictures and video. I love it! Now all that mix up business doesn't seem like such a big deal anymore.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain , glad it sounds like the mix-up is being corrected and you'll be getting your order!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Custom Jewelry from India? Confusing Ring in the Mail?

If everything works out great be sure and leave positive feedback for the seller. It is so important to "reward" good behavior and sounds like the seller made this good. Let other buyers know he is honest.

Honored Contributor

So to finish this thread (though comments are still very welcome) : All's Well That Ends Well.

I love my ring and I am confident it is worth quite a bit more than I paid for it.

There really was a mixup somewhere. Either at the vendor's end or at the customs rebagging end. The other lady and I sent the rings to each other and we both got what we paid for.

The vendor offered to reimburse my shipping and I told him not to worry about it. I'm chalking up the situation to my lack of experience...and slightly confusing communication. I might do business with the vendor again, and would expect a smooth transaction. If something similar happened a second time, I would not be understanding about it.

I will leave a review about the ring, which I love. And that is it.

Thank you for your advice everyone. You helped me out by letting me know it isn't a common thing to have this happen. Heart

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

I sell on ebay and once switched things and the customers did send the item to the other person after I sent them a shipping label. I'm not sure what protections Etsy has for buyers I never really looked at it but in ebay you can open a case.  I would never buy anything really expensive from a foreign country.  I have purchased jewelry from Indian sellers, it took a long time to get here because of covid but it finally did.  It was not that expensive though.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Thank you ladies for confirming this is not a normal part of transacting business overseas. I didn't want to make a big deal out of nothing. The friends I've asked about it also want me to go to my CC company.

I purchased one other ring from India and have not had any of this happen, so far. I also haven't received it yet. Fingers crossed!

@Porcelain In a job I once had I had dealings with India and it's postal system and other interactions.  Let me say it isn't the same as dealing with things in the states and many other countries.  That's all I'll say. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Thank you ladies for confirming this is not a normal part of transacting business overseas. I didn't want to make a big deal out of nothing. The friends I've asked about it also want me to go to my CC company.

I purchased one other ring from India and have not had any of this happen, so far. I also haven't received it yet. Fingers crossed!

@Porcelain In a job I once had I had dealings with India and it's postal system and other interactions.  Let me say it isn't the same as dealing with things in the states and many other countries.  That's all I'll say. 

It definitely is different! The other package that arrived uneventfully from India had the name and picture of some official in India who had cleared it. I have never seen a little photo of anybody on my packages before.

I think I'll stick to Argentium silver (my new favorite metal) from India and mostly stay away from gold or platinum, not that I normally buy a lot of that kind of thing anyway.

Honored Contributor

ShopHQ has a line of 22K gold from India (seems to be the standard there, along with 24K)  I haven't tried it.  The line is called Sohna.

Occasional Contributor

Be suspicious!  I have been ripped off too may times.  I finally decided not to purchase from places like the one you described.  I have purchased from QVC, but 99.9% from JTV, because they back up their product.