Honored Contributor

Custom Jewelry from India? Confusing Ring in the Mail?

[ Edited ]

Has anyone here ordered jewelry from India? I just bought a fairly nice 14 kt gold ring from an Etsy seller in India. I've seen video of my ring and it is gorgeous.

Well today, before my ring was even supposed to be shipped, I received a tiny cute ring via UPS. It says it's a gift brass imitation ring and is worth $22. Clearly not the ring I ordered. The seller says he will give me the tracking number for my gold ring as soon as I send him images of the ring. So I took pictures of the little ring and sent them to him. Waiting to hear back.

Has anyone else experienced this as a normal part of buying jewelry overseas? I don't want to be naive or overly suspicious. I don't know what usually happens.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Custom Jewelry from India? Fake Ring in the Mail?

Are you able to contact the SELLER by email?   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Has anyone here ordered jewelry from India? I just bought a fairly nice 14 kt gold ring from an Etsy seller in India. I've seen video of my ring and it is gorgeous.

Well today, before my ring was even supposed to be shipped, I received a tiny cute ring via UPS. It says it's a gift brass imitation ring and is worth $22. Clearly not the ring I ordered. The seller says he will give me the tracking number for my gold ring as soon as I send him images of the ring. So I took pictures of the little ring and sent them to him. Waiting to hear back.

Has anyone else experienced this as a normal part of buying jewelry overseas? I don't want to be naive or overly suspicious. I don't know what usually happens.

@Porcelain   This sounds very fishy to me. 

Honored Contributor

This is why I don't order from places I don't know.  I ordered one item from Israel once and it was like pulling teeth to get it and it still wasn't right.  I'll never do that again.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I would contact Etsy and report it.  

Honored Contributor

It may have been a "test mailing" to assure the product will reach you?

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Are you able to contact the SELLER by email?   

Yes. I've been messaging with him on the Etsy system the whole time. I am glad there is a record of all this. He has very good reviews.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain   This sounds very fishy to me. 

It is starting to seem a bit weird. I don't want to be involved in anything sketchy.

Honored Contributor

Apparently (he says) the rings were switched at customs? And some lady in FL has my ring and I have hers. He wants me to send the ring I received to her.

So I asked him whether she's sending me my ring right now and to please send me the tracking number for it. I want my ring overnighted to me.

The ring I have here does not seem very valuable at all to my eye, but I'm no gemologist and I'm no jewelry aficionado either. It's eternity style set in sort of a chain cage setting. Looks like CZ but if it were lower grade diamonds and platinum, I would not know the difference. And it is about a size 4 or 5. Really small.

One thing that sits oddly with me is that he gave me the woman's contact information to send the ring. I don't feel comfortable even having that info. I would rather he contact her and take care of the details. If some lady called or emailed me out of the blue about this, I would be a bit taken aback. Did he give her my info?

Oh gads. If this is an identity theft thing targeting me, I that's not good.

Regular Contributor

I have never bought through Etsy however, after not having received merchandise from Ebay, I discovered a trick for unscrupulous sellers was to send an empty box or even envelope thereby, using the tracking on it to verify delivery of your order.  I would immediately notify Etsy that the item received was not as offered and try to get your money back.  I failed on Ebay to get my money back after not receiving the order.  They do not protect the buyer as much as they say they do.