Honored Contributor

Continuing references on board to Shop LC, mostly favorable

This channel seems to be slowly making inroads into the jewelry business of the other channels.  I know this is what I turn on for background noise when I'm working and sick of the news.  If I'm going to be talked into an impulse purchase I want it to be cheap.  

Super Contributor

Re: Continuing references on board to Shop LC, mostly favorable

Their prices seem unbelievable. The hosts are laughable. I keep wondering if the product can be any good. Remembering the adage, if it seems to good to be true. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • @mimilucy : Because ShopLC has no middleman, they made the jewelry themselves. In the Q you are buying for the brand name (x designer name) and paying overprice for a diamonique piece, for example, and those pieces looks so fake, bad quality cubic zirconia, and it's not even Swarovski crystal and made in China. I have seen the reviews about that diamonique stuff. I won't throw my money buying a piece like that. 

Years ago, I bought a big amethyst that cost me 30 dollars. I went to Jared's to see if they can design a cast for the gem. They told me it would be very expensive to have the amethyst set with them. My mom gave the amethyst to my aunt, who was traveling to Peru so it can be set. The jeweler appraised the amethyst to $280 approximately and set it on an 18kt gold cast. My mom has her amethyst necklace on the jewelry closet.  The same happened with two aquamarines that I bought separately for $24 each. They were appraised to $1, 250 approximately and they were set in 18kt white gold. In Peru, we use 18kt, not 14kt, so it's normal. Both pieces look great. 

So the adage, "It seems good, to be true" doesn't applied in both cases. True story, I'm not inventing, I'm a terrible liar.

The hosts do that  for entertainment. Many of them are certified gemologists. What about the Q hosts?

Don't get me wrong, the Q sells great products. My only piece of jewelry that I bought is a pair of pear shaped Sterling Silver earrings. They are simple but beautiful. I used to have Unakite earrings, those crescent moons shaped ones. I returned them and now it regretted. I didn't know at the time that gemstones are never  alike. Each Unakite gem has different patterns. They were beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe jewelry markups are incredibly high for traditional stores and channels.  Like x 10.  As gold goes up, that no longer holds true for gold pieces, everyone wants an arm and a leg.  Thank goodness I bought basic gold from QVC in the late 90's.  Any gold I buy now days is from local auctions at pretty good prices.  But gemstones I continue to buy, they are my first jewelry love and always will be. They can be found from $10.00 on up.  Even JTV is reducing some of their prices because of competition from LC.  So the prices are important to my current buying decisions.  Yes, most of LC's presentations are hokey, but I'm willing to put up with them to get the value.  

Respected Contributor

ShopLC is mostly unwatchable (the hosts), i give maybe 5 min if they have something different. too much vermeil and their silver settings look cheap,  last night they had mostly opaque rubles in oval, heart and other shapes, they looked fracture filled.  then they had a smallish Welo opal in a boring setting.  They should invest some money into production and training hosts to sell without screeching at the camera!   it seems they are resellers for the mom and pop type jewelers.

Super Contributor

@CatsyCline : Those rubies are fracture-filled and they disclose that (FF) means fissure ( fracture) filled. I have been a customer of them for years. But I don't buy any fissure-filled African ruby, or any silvertone or goldtone. I have a Burmese ruby (non-fissure filled) cluster earrings. What "smallish" Welo Opal ring? Pardon me, but English is not my first language. Is "smallish" a word? They presented two Welo opals rings: an oval and a round. 

I bought the the round one. My hands are the so called "pianist hands" , fine (thin) with long fingers. I think a bold, big ring be would be ridiculous on hands like mine. My hands are not chubby with small fingers. Some of the hosts scream a lot, I agree with that.

I never liked vermeil, but I have no problems with silver with platinum overlay.

Contributor

it’s entertaining and can be useful if you’re a knowledgeable and discerning buyer. Several of the hosts came from the network in Minnesota, going back to its valuevision days. actually, the glory days. I got things there that I would never be able to buy today. Karen is very knowledgeable and a jewelry designer herself. True, she’s a character.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did anyone just see that??!!! I think today is host Dionne's birthday, or something. But the gem buyer Tony just gave her a 12 carat color change diaspore !!!! OMGSmiley Surprised

Dionne was holding back the tears. WOW.

Color change diaspore a.k.a. Zultanite or Turkizite.

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee : I missed that! Wow! Dionne must be felt overwhelmed with emotion. A very happy birthday for her.