Honored Contributor

Composite turquoise is a subject we've often discussed here.  Last night while cruising through Evine I came across some new creations from Michael Valatutti's line, Gems en Vogue.  I'm shocked that he would do this, but he has combined turquoise,  spiney oyster, copper or pyrite and heavens knows what else to manufacture this creation.  I hate to use the word "ugly" but this might be the most unattractive ring I've ever seen.  I think he's lost his mind.

Screenshot_20190217-012345.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Gee, I love some of the pieces in that collection.  Everyone has different tastes...that's what makes the world go 'round!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Even if it was gorgeous, I wouldn't purchase a piece of composite anything. It's junk jewelry IMO. Haven't watched that channel since it was Shop NBC. I did enjoy EFFY's collections at the time and purchased a lovely suite of sleeping beauty tourquise pieces in 18K (ring, bracelet, earrings and pendant). That's all I've purchased from a TV channel with stones in it.  Think I hit a sale of some kind!  All pieces appraised much higher than what I had paid for them so I kept them.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Eww.  Looks like someone scarfed down a variety of stones and then got sick.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Composite Turquoise

[ Edited ]

Agreed...I have several of his turquoise pieces and this has to be the strangest thing I have seen in the collection! I would separate the stones and not combine so many colors...maybe this ring can be considered a "Rarities" for some collectors...if I bought this ring it would simply be to have something different and unique.

Honored Contributor

I have a small decorative bowl made out of that material. I think it looks rather unique and that's what made me want to buy it. 

Regular Contributor

That ring is ugly!

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 : Composite turquoise? Are you referring to that Turquoise that they called "Mohave" and Reconstitute turquoise? At Shop LC they sell that, and they explained how is the process.They mix the Turquoise with the cooper. I don't buy that. On the other hand, Sleeping Beauty is solid turquoise. ShopLC had a show on Sleeping Beauty on Saturday.

Reconstitute is tiny pieces of turquoise mix with another material that is not cooper.

Honored Contributor

Re: Composite Turquoise

[ Edited ]

Reconstituted turq (aka 'block turq') is different from composite. Recon turq is made by crushing turq stones into a powder then mixing the powder with a liquid resin and dyes to make a clay-like material that can be molded into any shape.

Super Contributor

@SilleeMee : Thank you. That is the exact definition of Reconstitute Turquoise. I won't buy those either. It took me a long time to buy Turquoise because I though they were all reconstituted.