Valued Contributor

@GinaV24   ✨me too. And it's always pretty and sparkly in jewelry land✨

Respected Contributor

I don't consider CZ set in sterling to be fine jewelry. 

Respected Contributor

I think many years ago fine jewelry was considered to be if it were solid gold. Now jewelry in silver is also considered fine jewelry especially when diamonds and precious gems are set in it. I think it's whatever someone likes. I have a few silver pieces that still look perfect and have never tarnished. I buy what I like!

Honored Contributor

Re: Comment from JTV host

[ Edited ]

'Bridge jewelry'. Uses semi-precious/man-made stones set in mostly silver. 
The type of jewelry that bridges the gap between fine and costume.

ETA-

Bella Luce, DMQ and Absolute all fall into this 'bridge jewelry' category.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

Last night I had JTV on as background while I did a few things around the house, Nikki was on doing a bella luce show. I had to laugh because she made the statement that this was not "costume" jewelry.  Well I guess it is one of those things -- yes they set it in silver and sometimes even gold, so you can look at it two ways.  It's not fine jewelry but since it's not set in base metal or "silver tone/gold tone", I guess in some ways it isn't costume.

What do others think?  I'd be curious to know.  Hey I have DMQ jewelry including some pieces from Judith Ripka that had DMQ added to  it - so I've certainly paid my fair share in purchasing those pieces so I'm not trying to be a snob or run it down. 

I do not consider it costume jewelry because it is set in silver covered with rhodium.  Vanna K pieces are platinum over silver.  No mystery metals.  So no I do not consider it costume jewelry.  Nikki is correct.

Honored Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@wagirl ha yes I hear you about their over the top delivery. Nikk & Misty both get on my nerves a bit but I know they are very popular.

I watch the shopping chanels since tthey don't have commercials or political commentary!  

I agree with you about Nikki and Misty.  I do not watch them.  There are a couple of ladies on late night I enjoy them.  I use to enjoy Melissa but she is a little different than she use to be,

Honored Contributor

I think costume jewelry or fashion jewelry is a base metal.  A mystery metal and the "stones" are plastic, glass or rhinestones.  I don't put cubic zirconia that is set in a previous metal in the costume jewelry category.  

Honored Contributor

It's close to costume jewelry.  It's not fine jewelry.  I don't consider Sterling silver to being precious.  Semiprecious is more like it.  And cubic zirconia is almost worthless.  It's more like trinkets. Or rather what I call it. If it's shiny, it'll catch the eye of any person or crow.  

Trusted Contributor

There are eight metals that are considered precious. They are gold, silver, platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium, and osmium.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Super Contributor

Re: Comment from JTV host

[ Edited ]

Whether you like or not silver is consider a precious metal. You are not part of the GIA to make that decision.Do you think your 18kt pieces are pure gold? No. It it has other metals. The only pure gold is the 24kts.Gold, SILVER, Paladium and Platinum are precious metals.