Honored Contributor

Re: Collen Lopez Smart Deal Opal Bracelet

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Opals are so fragile.  An opal tennis bracelet seems pretty risky to me.  

@Peaches McPhee    Ethiopia Opals are quite different from fragile Australian Opals.  They are not water-based and do not dry out and become brittle.  They are quite sturdy and more colorful than the Australian variety. They've about put Australia out of business. 

@Kachina624  That is what Colleen said.  Australian opals become brittle and crack and that Milky Opals are just basically white with little color.  I ordered the 8x6mm I just couldn't resist.  

Honored Contributor

Opals all lined up in a bracelet like this will crack so fast, very fragile. 

Honored Contributor

@Pecky wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Opals are so fragile.  An opal tennis bracelet seems pretty risky to me.  

@Peaches McPhee    Ethiopia Opals are quite different from fragile Australian Opals.  They are not water-based and do not dry out and become brittle.  They are quite sturdy and more colorful than the Australian variety. They've about put Australia out of business. 

@Kachina624  That is what Colleen said.  Australian opals become brittle and crack and that Milky Opals are just basically white with little color.  I ordered the 8x6mm I just couldn't resist.  

@Pecky - hope you LOVE it!!I I'm confident Colleen has accurate info about her jewelry products. She has offered many jewel collections plus her DH and one of her DS are in the jewelry business. Post a review! 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle    Please read the WHOLE thread.  Ethiopian Opals are NOT fragile.  Any stone will crack if whacked hard enough but these Opals are sturdy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Shelbelle    Please read the WHOLE thread.  Ethiopian Opals are NOT fragile.  Any stone will crack if whacked hard enough but these Opals are sturdy. 

@Kachina624 - lots of erroneous information posted on the boards! And they usually don't return to acknowledge retraction or correction 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good info to know,  learn something new each day, but I would still have some doubts about a line bracelet, I would be carefully examining my stones after each wearing, but that is just me. I always examine my bracelet stones after wearing. . Do you know what these are on the Mohs scale, sorry if that is not the correct spelling.  Those that order, enjoy in good health !!

Honored Contributor

It's not just the hardness (Mohs) of a gemstone which makes it durable. It's also it's tenacity meaning how brittle it is. Welo opals are more tenacious than Australian opals yet they have have about the same  Mohs hardness. @Shelbelle 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

It's not just the hardness (Mohs) of a gemstone which makes it durable. It's also it's tenacity meaning how brittle it is. Welo opals are more tenacious than Australian opals yet they have have about the same  Mohs hardness. @Shelbelle 

Sillie, I appreciate your kind way of answering me, and explaining things. I am only used to my opals of yester year and know how pretty they are, but yet how soft they are. I have had to have cracked ones replaced over the years. 

Respected Contributor

Funny you mentioned this, Pecky.  I bought the largest size opals, because they just looked wonderful when shown on air.  I guess I shouldn't have been channel surfing at that moment, because I glimpsed this bracelet and had to have it.  I am particularly fond of Ethiopian opals, because of their dramatic color play, and lack of fragility.  I have a couple of larger Ethiopian opal rings (from Victoria Wieck), so this bracelet will be perfect to wear with them.

Respected Contributor

Opals are my weakness. They're also my birthstone.

I have many pieces of opal jewelry - Australian, Ethiopian and even created opals. Some of my most beautiful pieces are the created ones. But I love them all.

As luck would have it, I just happened to be channel surfing when I saw Colleen presenting this opal bracelet and I jumped to order it. I got the smallest size, the 7X5mm. I thought the size of the stones would be perfect for me.

I recently purchased the Bali RoManse Ethiopian ring and I can't wait to see how the bracelet looks with the ring. BTW, the ring is simply stunning!!!

Bali RoManse Sterling Silver and 18K Ethiopian Opal 3-Stone Ring