Super Contributor

Re: Clearance priced oval stainless steel watch...

On 9/4/2014 Blondelle said:

Is there any mother of pearl on the face of the silver watch at all? It doesn't say so but some of the photos I've seen make it look like there is.

Blondelle...There is no MOP on the face of the oval watch. I think they must have finally sold out of it because they took the info off the website - - for the second time. Must now be officially sold out??

Super Contributor

On 9/2/2014 jennys kid said:

benzgirl, i got this watch recently in the silver (and mine is one of the recent reviews). the watch itself is gorgeous. seriously stunning. i like the weight of it too. my issue with it was that i bought it as a gift for someone and the one i got is not presentable as a gift. the watch, though clearly a return, seems fine. it was missing the plastic cover on the face and was not closed so it was in the bottom of the box. not the world's biggest deal, for sure. the box i got was a hot mess. i thought that i received an empty box because the inside of the box was destroyed and nothing was attached the way it should be so when the unclasped watch fell off of the pillow, it ended up settling underneath all of the pieces at the bottom of the box. the outside of the box is falling apart as well. if i were keeping it for myself, i'd be slightly annoyed but probably wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be a gift so the presentation really matters and there's nothing presentable about this box. but, the watch is so pretty that i ordered another one when i saw they'd reduced the clearance price again. hopefully the second box is presentable and then maybe i'll have two gifts (might keep the other one as a gift for me since it seems there are no more!). anyway, my point is that you'll probably love it. it's classic and at this clearance price, what a deal! i'm not really a watch person but this one is really impressive.

Jennys Kid...I might have gotten one that was returned as well. I say that because the watch was upside down in the box - - although attached to the pillow. Believe me. I was very careful unpacking it just making sure there was nothing wrong with the purchase. The little plastic thing that is typically in place behind the crown was in place, the watch was not running and there were no weird smudge marks on the watch. In addition, the extra bands were pristine. I think maybe someone else might have gotten it home and simply decided that it wasn't what they were looking for and packed it up and sent it back. So, I wonder if you were able to order an extra one for a future gift?

Super Contributor

On 8/31/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

benzgirl: I don't have this watch, but I have a lot of watches. When you get the watch, judge for yourself. I've seen some of the type of comments reported for other watches, and manufacturers get returns of watches, based upon things that aren't defects, but part of the watch design.

For example, the comments about the second hand not working unless the watch is in chrono mode, Most chronograph movements have a small second hand in a subdial (usually at either 3 or 6 o'clock positions, depending upon the movement) and that small second hand is the constantly running second hand. The larger 'second hand' is part of the chronograph function and is only supposed to work when the chrono is running. Some people don't like this design and run the chronograph all the time. This is not good for the watch, it will drain the battery.

Many watches also have screw-down crowns (I don't know if this one does). This type of crown increases the water resistance level of a watch and is a quality feature. But many people aren't familiar with a screw-down crown and try to force it open, thereby damaging the watch. If the crown doesn't pull out easily, just turn it counter-clockwise until it pops out. Then gently pull it out.... usually there are 2 additional positions... the first for setting the date and the second for setting the time. Then it's important to push the crown all the way in and screw it down again (turning clock-wise) to preserve the water resistance.

There are other features of good watches that people are sometimes unfamiliar with or just don't like. So judge for yourself. Of course, any watch could have quality issues or poor workmanship. But those are different than design features that someone just doesn't like or understand.

Thank you for the info, Lavender. I remember speaking to you a couple years ago when I was purchasing a different 'true' chrono watch. This particular watch, the oval, is not a chrono. But this is great information for those of us who own the Ripka chrono. Thank you. Smile

Super Contributor

Happy dance...happy dance. Smiley Happy I am head over heels in love with this watch after wearing it for just a couple days. Of all my Ripka watches this is far and above my favorite. I even started 'circling' the pave band because it's on clearance too. I thought I would purchase it after I got back from a little vacation next week, but noticed that as of today the chocolate was no longer available - - leading me to think that the white might be gone by the time I get back next week. So....I went ahead and ordered it and will have a new little play-toy waiting for me when I get home. Cannot wait to bling out in this dazzling beauty! Smiley Very Happy
Valued Contributor

On 9/9/2014 benzgirl said: Happy dance...happy dance. Smiley Happy I am head over heels in love with this watch after wearing it for just a couple days. Of all my Ripka watches this is far and above my favorite. I even started 'circling' the pave band because it's on clearance too. I thought I would purchase it after I got back from a little vacation next week, but noticed that as of today the chocolate was no longer available - - leading me to think that the white might be gone by the time I get back next week. So....I went ahead and ordered it and will have a new little play-toy waiting for me when I get home. Cannot wait to bling out in this dazzling beauty! Smiley Very Happy

I'm so glad to read that you're loving the oval stainless watch, benzgirl...it really is a stunner! Happy that you decided to purchase the bling band as I think you'll be really pleased with that option. I've worn mine with the bling band yesterday and today and love looking down at the sparkle on my wrist. Wear in good health and enjoy your vacation!

Super Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Dallas-Dame said:
On 9/9/2014 benzgirl said: Happy dance...happy dance. Smiley Happy I am head over heels in love with this watch after wearing it for just a couple days. Of all my Ripka watches this is far and above my favorite. I even started 'circling' the pave band because it's on clearance too. I thought I would purchase it after I got back from a little vacation next week, but noticed that as of today the chocolate was no longer available - - leading me to think that the white might be gone by the time I get back next week. So....I went ahead and ordered it and will have a new little play-toy waiting for me when I get home. Cannot wait to bling out in this dazzling beauty! Smiley Very Happy

I'm so glad to read that you're loving the oval stainless watch, benzgirl...it really is a stunner! Happy that you decided to purchase the bling band as I think you'll be really pleased with that option. I've worn mine with the bling band yesterday and today and love looking down at the sparkle on my wrist. Wear in good health and enjoy your vacation!

Thank you, DD. I certainly will. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

benzgirl, I'm so glad & happy that you are loving this new watch of yours!!!! Its my favorite also. I have gotten lots of compliments on this beauty. I need to check into this bling band.

Take care!!!

Super Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Pepper22 said:

benzgirl, I'm so glad & happy that you are loving this new watch of yours!!!! Its my favorite also. I have gotten lots of compliments on this beauty. I need to check into this bling band.

Take care!!!

Hi Pepper. So nice to hear from you. This watch is so darn pretty! I wanted it when it was a TSV but felt it was too expensive for me at the time. When I saw it was a clearance item last week during Judith's visit, I just knew I had to get it. LOL!! Yes...if you are considering the bling band maybe you should act quickly. I noticed that the chocolate was completely gone today...fortunately I needed the white. Like I said, I was going to wait till next week but didn't want to lose out. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Just curious, Did I miss the item#?
Valued Contributor

On 9/6/2014 benzgirl said:
On 9/2/2014 jennys kid said:

benzgirl, i got this watch recently in the silver (and mine is one of the recent reviews). the watch itself is gorgeous. seriously stunning. i like the weight of it too. my issue with it was that i bought it as a gift for someone and the one i got is not presentable as a gift. the watch, though clearly a return, seems fine. it was missing the plastic cover on the face and was not closed so it was in the bottom of the box. not the world's biggest deal, for sure. the box i got was a hot mess. i thought that i received an empty box because the inside of the box was destroyed and nothing was attached the way it should be so when the unclasped watch fell off of the pillow, it ended up settling underneath all of the pieces at the bottom of the box. the outside of the box is falling apart as well. if i were keeping it for myself, i'd be slightly annoyed but probably wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be a gift so the presentation really matters and there's nothing presentable about this box. but, the watch is so pretty that i ordered another one when i saw they'd reduced the clearance price again. hopefully the second box is presentable and then maybe i'll have two gifts (<em>might</em> keep the other one as a gift for me since it seems there are no more!). anyway, my point is that you'll probably love it. it's classic and at this clearance price, what a deal! i'm not really a watch person but this one is really impressive.

Jennys Kid...I might have gotten one that was returned as well. I say that because the watch was upside down in the box - - although attached to the pillow. Believe me. I was very careful unpacking it just making sure there was nothing wrong with the purchase. The little plastic thing that is typically in place behind the crown was in place, the watch was not running and there were no weird smudge marks on the watch. In addition, the extra bands were pristine. I think maybe someone else might have gotten it home and simply decided that it wasn't what they were looking for and packed it up and sent it back. So, I wonder if you were able to order an extra one for a future gift?

i was able to get another one and it came in much better condition! the box doesn't exactly close perfectly, it's a little skewed but other than that it is in good condition and definitely presentable for use as a gift. the plastic stopper in for the pin was there and i guess when it was repackaged (this one is a return too, i'm pretty sure) they wrapped the face in some plastic stuff similar to the round protective sheet usually on the face (which is funny because that round sheet was under all of that stuff) but i just took that off. i sent the other one back this week so maybe someone else will get it (hopefully they'll get a better box). if the recipient doesn't care about the presentation, they'll be fine. as far as i could tell, the watch was okay. enjoy yours!

oh! please let us know how you like the bling band! i may add it to my gift if there are any left.