Honored Contributor

Cleaning Jewelry With A Jewelry Plate

I'm getting ready to sell some Barbara Bixby jewelry on Ebay. I wanted to clean it nicely before I sold it and was planning to use an electrolytic cleaning plate to clean them. I know I can't clean pearls this way but was wondering about carnelian. The instructions say not to clean soft porous stones this way. I've tried looking this up but can't find anything about carnelian's hardness. Also you can't clean unstabilized turquoise this way. I assume her turquoise would be stabilized. Is this correct? I'm talking about her sterling silver/carnelian heart with the turquoise lotus flower in the center. I have quite a few pieces of hers that I'd like to sell and I see that they're doing well on Ebay. Thanks for your help.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning Jewelry With A Jewelry Plate

If the jewelry is oxidized don;t use the plate it will probably take it off which you don't want to do.

use a jewelry cleaning cloth

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Due to the investment you have in these pieces I would not chance this cleaning method. Just one piece destroyed and you will regret having tried it. I'd rather buy a tarnished piece of anything off Ebay than something someone has messed up.

Honored Contributor

I was just planning to use it for a few seconds. Do you think that would still mess it up?

Edited to add: I just used a cleaning cloth to clean the carnelian heart, a bracelet and a pair of earrings. They look beautiful now. I'm working on her original textured link necklace, and it's turning out well, too. Thanks for your feedback and for encouraging me to just use the cleaning cloth.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Bad idea. This method is NOT made for this type of jewelry. Not even a second. Go to your jeweler and get a sunshine cloth. Cleans with no harm.
Honored Contributor

I've cleaned them with a cleaning cloth and they look very nice. I'm listing them on Ebay now. I appreciate everyone guiding me in the right direction.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

These plates are for cleaning flatware. Do not use it on your jewelry. It will ruin Bixby which is heavily oxidized. Get a good quality polishing cloth, Sunshine Cloths are the best, and polish by hand.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks esmeraldagooch and kachina624 for recommending the Sunshine brand. I've never heard of them but will get one. As I said, I've already cleaned the pieces with a polishing cloth per everyone's recommendation.

-Henry David Thoreau