Respected Contributor

Re: Check out KBEANS post about Antonella for a nice surprise

I know how Antonella feels and respect her feelings. Last year, I lost my job of 38 years after returning from leave taking care of my sick mother, who died. I lost my mother and my job within 8 weeks of each other. I had worked with many people for years, and was never allowed to say goodbye. I was totally devastated and had made many friends at my job. Some of us worked together for years. I needed support but could not reach out to them. I think they were told if they communicated with them, that they would be fired. 

I found a new job, but took a huge pay cut. It has been 9 months now since I lost my job and I am just starting to feel better about my new life. 

I really could have used my mom and dad when this happened. I am crying right now so I know that I still have raw feelings about losing my job. I am  62 and it has not been easy to pull up my big girl pants and move on. I had so many emotions about it, humiliation, isolation, fear of what was next, anger, feelings of being inadequate. 

Please be kind to each other, it is never easy to lose a job that you loved. At Antonella's age, I am sure it is hard for her.

One of my biggest problems is that people don't really want to invest in a 62 year old new employee, only to have have the person retire in a few years. 

I can't retire, I need the income and medical insurance. I lost my medical insurance last year, and that was scary. The Cobra info came to me late and the cost was $1300 per month. 

Again, please be kind, Antonella is in shock and her situation is difficult. It is not easy to find a comparable job, especially when one is on the older side.  When I lost my job, I lost all of those relationships that I had. Working with and seeing those people on a daily basis, we were like a family.

I was not offered a severance, just kicked out the door. The experience was totally humiliating and degrading. 

Honored Contributor

People treat one another like dogs. Shameful.

Sorry this happened to you.

My husband couldn't wait till he hit 65 to get on Medicare. He struggled till he was 70 to get the extra 8% in SS. Had to drive 100 miles a day round trip and take age abuse, but, he saw it through.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE I can't wait until I get on Medicare either. That has to bring some freedom. I had to completely start over. People don't realize the emotions that one has when they lose a job, especially a job that the person has worked at for a long time. Antonella is experiencing a wide range of emotions right now. I feel for her. Like I said 9 months into it I am just starting to feel better. 

Right after I wrote my original post, I received a chocolate covered fruit box from edible arrangements, what a surprise. I am a nurse and I run a home health team. This week, I worked hard at making sure the patients that we received on my team with Covid 19, got their oxygen, their care, and everything else that they needed. Taking care of these Covid patients is an entirely different story. I have seen the effects of Covid and I pray we can get it under control. Anyway, it was a hard week. My marketer sent me the arrangements for working tirelessly to make sure out patients were taken care of. It has been a long time in my work world that someone did something nice for me like that. I brought me to tears. Still I have raw emotions about the job loss, it was a horrible experience. People need to be nice to Antonella. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your service ! Your doing important work for others.

You will be blessed in the end.

gel thank you.gif