Honored Contributor

Re: Carolyn Pollack's red coral statement necklace.

@Kachina624 wrote:

CHIP62  Native American arts and crafts are done by hand by the individual artists.  They usually put a hallmark or their initials on pottery and jewelry.  Since they meticulously make one piece at a time, they don't make enough to have a brand.  This jewelry is sold in shops and galleries usually in the Southwest.  It has become so coveted that forgeries or copies are being made overseas and sold in the US as the real thing.  Only an expert with a practiced eye can detect many forgeries.  I would only buy from trusted, reliable sources and only buy the work of artists with whom I'm familiar. 

Over the years to see of us here who love this jewelry have exchanged information on "new finds" which expands our collections.  Our poster @patbz told me about a Navajo Indian namedq Alex Sanchez so now I've acquired a number of pieces of his work.  You can check out his work online.   Here's a pendant I treasure.

image.jpeg

Perfect answer @Kachina624. Nothing I would add.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I quit buying her jewelry when she started using brass.  I just don't care for the look and also am not a fan of her American West Collection. 

I prefer authentic Native American designed jewelry and am willing to pay for original works of art...which, to me, is what they are....art! 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@patbz  There was an article yesterday in  the Albuquerque Journal about our two NM senators trying to get Federal legislation to protect Native craftsmen.  They're saying as much as 80% of what's being sold in stores in NM, AZ, and CA. are forgeries using Native designs,  made in the Philippines. 

It seems like the more they try to legislate it, the worse the forgery problem becomes.  We already have state laws regulating Indian Art.  They mentioned two men, one in Santa Fe, who are the ring leaders. 

Thought you might be interested. 

That's good to hear but Pollack's Qvc line doesnt't pretend to be Native American or even Native American inspired.  I think she once had a separate line here that was designed by Native American artists but that's gone.  I do believe it's problem because the uninformed shopper, everywhere not just here at Qvc, gets roped in by the buzz words and that make it seem like a piece is made by Native Americans.  "Inspired" is big one.  Smaller boutiques jus out and out lie, their pieces aren't even made in the USA and often the turquoise isn't even real.  It is a problem and I hope to see a remedy because I have a large collection of turquoise jewelry, much of it inspired by Native American styles, some copies.  But I knew what I was buying.  I'd love to own some real pieces but that would mean going to the source, the western part of the country where Native American arisans live work and sell their pieces.  

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Getting back to Carolyn's jewelry:  I don't care for the brass and I've never bought any of her jewelry that was made with brass.  Her stuff has gotten too expensive in recent years.  Even the American West which started out as a less expensive line.  I used to love her jewelry and I have lots of it.  

I did purchase a pink mother of pear ring from her a few years ago.  I did have brass, unfortunately the brass has turned black around the mother of pearl.  Because of this I do not wear it.  I guess I need to research and find out if I can shine the brass up again.  I did purchase her ring guard with the gold tone ring and the silver.  Not sure if the gold one is bronze or brass but it still looks lovely.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Just looked it up.  The gold part is bronze.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Getting back to Carolyn's jewelry:  I don't care for the brass and I've never bought any of her jewelry that was made with brass.  Her stuff has gotten too expensive in recent years.  Even the American West which started out as a less expensive line.  I used to love her jewelry and I have lots of it.  

I did purchase a pink mother of pear ring from her a few years ago.  I did have brass, unfortunately the brass has turned black around the mother of pearl.  Because of this I do not wear it.  I guess I need to research and find out if I can shine the brass up again.  I did purchase her ring guard with the gold tone ring and the silver.  Not sure if the gold one is bronze or brass but it still looks lovely.Smiley Happy

Bronze or brass can be polished w/ the same treated Sunshine Cloths used for silver.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree:  When I first moved to AZ I educated myself by looking at lots of NA jewelry online.  Garlands has an online presence and only carries high quality.  The Heard Museum also has a quality online shop.  I also shop and buy from E Bay;  I use Bennie Ration, Nelson Morgan, Watson Honanie and Alex Sanchez to search. Remember on the Bay you can counter with a lower offer than their asking price (I think kachina Bargained on Ebay to get her beautiful cross charm bracelet).

Honored Contributor

I imagine Relics, Carolyn's company, has many people of Indian heritage working for them.  They're the only people in the Albuquerque area who have silversmithing skills.  She doesn't advertise that however.  Heck, I had an Indian young man help me with groceries at Walmart yesterday. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I imagine Relics, Carolyn's company, has many people of Indian heritage working for them.  They're the only people in the Albuquerque area who have silversmithing skills.  She doesn't advertise that however.  Heck, I had an Indian young man help me with groceries at Walmart yesterday. 

Isn't her company named Relios?

Years ago, back in the early '90s, when Carolyn was first on QVC they often showed videos of Native Americans working on the jewelry and said the company made efforts to hire as many NA jewelry-makers as possible. Most of the bead-stringing for instance was done by home workers. Then suddenly they stopped running those videos.

I've heard that some elements of jewelry pieces are now assembled or purchased overseas, although the pieces are still mostly made in America. For instance the company has said that they have to buy stones from overseas because there are no manufacturers in the U.S. that can cut the stones. There was one pendant necklace I bought in which the chain was stamped Made in Italy, allthough that was years ago.

Whenever I've sent jewelry to the company for repairs I've always dealt with NA employees.

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Isn't her company named Relios?

Years ago, back in the early '90s, when Carolyn was first on QVC they often showed videos of Native Americans working on the jewelry and said the company made efforts to hire as many NA jewelry-makers as possible. Most of the bead-stringing for instance was done by home workers. Then suddenly they stopped running those videos.

I've heard that some elements of jewelry pieces are now assembled or purchased overseas, although the pieces are still mostly made in America. For instance the company has said that they have to buy stones from overseas because there are no manufacturers in the U.S. that can cut the stones. There was one pendant necklace I bought in which the chain was stamped Made in Italy, allthough that was years ago.

Whenever I've sent jewelry to the company for repairs I've always dealt with NA employees.

@AuntMame  Yes, it's Relios, my spell check corrected that for me. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment