Occasional Contributor

Carolyn Pollack's red coral statement necklace.

I have many of Carolyn's pieces, bought here and also from her site.  I was surprised at the price of this because there is so much brass.  Was anyone else?

Honored Contributor

Re: Carolyn Pollack's red coral statement necklace.

I quit buying her jewelry when she started using brass.  I just don't care for the look and also am not a fan of her American West Collection. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Really like Carolyns jewelry but not a fan of her using brass.  The piece I own of here with brass is the collaborative pendant (Tenorio, Benally etc).  I wish she had used any good in it rather than brass.

Honored Contributor

@patbz  There was an article yesterday in  the Albuquerque Journal about our two NM senators trying to get Federal legislation to protect Native craftsmen.  They're saying as much as 80% of what's being sold in stores in NM, AZ, and CA. are forgeries using Native designs,  made in the Philippines. 

It seems like the more they try to legislate it, the worse the forgery problem becomes.  We already have state laws regulating Indian Art.  They mentioned two men, one in Santa Fe, who are the ring leaders. 

Thought you might be interested. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am aware of these copies but for high end jewelry I would be very surprised if the numbers are anywhere near that high.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624,

I am from Europe and not familiar with this kind of jewelry. 

I like beautiful masterpieces like the turquoise bracelet that you posted. Is there a particular brand that I can google?

I know that links are a no no for this post. There is no rush just when you have time🌻Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CHIP62  Native American arts and crafts are done by hand by the individual artists.  They usually put a hallmark or their initials on pottery and jewelry.  Since they meticulously make one piece at a time, they don't make enough to have a brand.  This jewelry is sold in shops and galleries usually in the Southwest.  It has become so coveted that forgeries or copies are being made overseas and sold in the US as the real thing.  Only an expert with a practiced eye can detect many forgeries.  I would only buy from trusted, reliable sources and only buy the work of artists with whom I'm familiar. 

Over the years to see of us here who love this jewelry have exchanged information on "new finds" which expands our collections.  Our poster @patbz told me about a Navajo Indian namedq Alex Sanchez so now I've acquired a number of pieces of his work.  You can check out his work online.   Here's a pendant I treasure.

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I am aware of these copies but for high end jewelry I would be very surprised if the numbers are anywhere near that high.

@patbz  The people in the Philippines probably don't have the skills to do the inlay the more costly pieces have and the stones they use are expensive.  They are also responsible for many of these phone scams.  I guess the Philippinoes without manual dexterity do phone work.   So nice there's something for everyone. 

Respected Contributor

Getting back to Carolyn's jewelry:  I don't care for the brass and I've never bought any of her jewelry that was made with brass.  Her stuff has gotten too expensive in recent years.  Even the American West which started out as a less expensive line.  I used to love her jewelry and I have lots of it.  

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Getting back to Carolyn's jewelry:  I don't care for the brass and I've never bought any of her jewelry that was made with brass.  Her stuff has gotten too expensive in recent years.  Even the American West which started out as a less expensive line.  I used to love her jewelry and I have lots of it.  

She started adding some bronze to appeal to those who prefer gold or two tone jewelry. Also some pieces would be even more expensive if done in all silver.

Same w/ RLM. He also started adding bronze or brass.