Respected Contributor

Carat and gram weights?

[ Edited ]

I have been an online shopper and observer of jewelry for over 30 years. I have to say QVC gives the least pertinent info on jewelry items. They just had a diamond ring show for $2500 with no mention of gold gram weight or carat weight. I am not buying jewelry like I used to but am still interested in seeing it presented. Their gold prices are almost always more than HSN, JTV, SHOPHQ and SHOPLC....so shop around.

Esteemed Contributor

Yea, um, yea (giggle). That's the way QVC rolls. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thar is precisely why I have never purchased any serious gold jewelry from QVC.   I've been a customer for well over 35 years and they have never given gram weights for gold jewelry.  I think they do give carat weights but they don't give any other specs for diamonds and other gemstones.  Other shopping channels always provide the necessary information for gold and platinum jewelry.

Trusted Contributor

If you mean the Affinity wrap ring, there is a lot of info on the item

page re the diamonds.

Honored Contributor

They are assuming the AVERAGE person who purchases  expensive jewelry off of a shopping channel  is ignorant and gullible.....sadly....and I guess anyone who would purchase fine gold and diamonds without the gram weight and Carat weight information  is rather ignorant and deserves getting ripped off.....no one in their right mind would buy with no information. 

it also shows QVC is not being upfront and honest with their customers. 

Honored Contributor

Shopping for jewelry on QVC is almost like walking into a jewelry store where they don't give much info about their pieces either. The person behind the counter sometimes doesn't know what they are selling which I can say the same for some of the hosts here. 

Honored Contributor

I seem to recall years ago when QVC did, in fact, give the gram weight.  But that all stopped when the price of gold sky rocketed.  At least that's my recollection.  Similarly, I can remember that they used to give carat weight.  They might still do that now, on occasion. I just don't know because I don't buy much jewelry any more.

Honored Contributor

I assume that the ONLY reason to buy expensive jewelry from any shopping channel is the easy pay option.  No way would I spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars without seeing it in person first.  

Esteemed Contributor

Why would anyone buy jewelry on-line without being able to have a powerful microscope, great lighting and at least one trained GIA professional present in a respected, long-established jewelry store? I want a trusted jeweler who will be there AFTER the purchase for the next 50 years or longer. Never know what I might decide to do (later) with the stone(s) or gold; a known, talented jeweler is a necessity as my design tastes change! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@wakefield64  💯 agree with you! Like I'm going to drop $2500 for a diamond I know nothing of the quality, color, clarity etc, and nothing of the gold gram weight. It's ridiculous they don't give that info, and it speaks poorly of the company, not instilling trust, as I think to myself...who is their target customer there?  Do they think, luckily they have enough naive, uninformed, loyal viewers who will impulse buy that they can take advantage of?

Anyway, like you I'm not in the market as much these days, if at all, but if I am...I have a trusted local jeweler I would go to, where you can get all the proper info, before spending any hard earned money.

I have enough good fine jewelry of my own, at this point, and also have inherited other pieces from my mom & grandmom. I do wear and alternate jewelry pieces, but how much do I need or can I wear in this lifetime! I'm not one who needs a new shiny piece all the time, but I understand if some women do. Some woman love to treat themselves with new jewelry, as my mom used to love to do...God Bless...enjoy...just, as you say here, shop wisely!

Back in the day both mom and I made some QVC purchases of fine jewelry we had little info on, from Affinity, for instance. I still enjoy wearing those. But before then mom always used local brick and mortar stores, and that's what I would do now if I were to buy...especially in this market!