Honored Contributor

Re: Can you help identify these stones?

Jewelers are not gemologists.  They'd be guessing just like we're doing. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Malachite is a deeper green.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Malachite is a deeper green.

and striped.

My guess is glass. I haven't seen this piece of jewelry before, so I wouldn't be able to tell for sure. I would argue that you can identify a stone if you can recall the specific design of the jewelry.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Well, okay then, I still think their 'guess' may be better than a novice's 'guess' would.

Grouchy much?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

As a rock hound, and having never seen anything quite like these beads (malachite is striated or at least consistently dark without white, jade doesn't have circular dots of different shades of green in it, nor does green agate, green onyx, green chalcedony, emerald, or variscite)  so I also tend to think these beads are man-made glass or ceramic.  Still pretty. 

I hope a gemologist can help you determine what they are.  If they turn out to be something from nature, I would love to know what they are.  Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

I think some jewelers have refractometers which are very commonly used to ID stones. You don't need to be a gemologist to know how to use one. Easy to figure out.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Well, okay then, I still think their 'guess' may be better than a novice's 'guess' would.

Grouchy much?

@KingstonsMom    Not at all but I'd hate for the OP to think badly of her local jeweler when he said he didn't know.  Gem and mineral identification is a specialty unto itself. 

Respected Contributor

Just for fyi:  my sister took some stones to a jeweler to get an opinion and was told to find a good gemologist.    So I guess it depends on the jeweler and what they choose to do as to giving an opinion on stones.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

I think some jewelers have refractometers which are very commonly used to ID stones. You don't need to be a gemologist to know how to use one. Easy to figure out.

@SilleeMee    Hmmm, I don't see refractometers as being mentioned to identify stones, gems or minerals.  They mention using them on liquids, especially in the food industry.

https://www.coleparmer.com/tech-article/refractometers

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

There are different kinds of refractometers. The type you mentioned is for liquids. Gem refractometers are different than that.