Contributor

California Gold Rush 35th Anniv. CANCELLED

https://www.qvc.com/content/programguide.qvc.202301240000.eastern.html

Did QVC really just cancel one of the most beloved events? Is someone being Grinchy?
Honored Contributor

Re: California Gold Rush 35th Anniv. CANCELLED

I guess I'm not surprised. Their August gold day was on Q2 or3 or 4. Their inventory stinks too. 

Go to sarrafdotcom. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't even think about that.  Didn't they use to have in January or February?  I knew there there two of them.  One in winter, ithe other in summer.

Honored Contributor

One was always Jan 24 and the other was always Aug 17

Trusted Contributor

i think last year it was on Jan 19th

Respected Contributor

The price of gold has gotten so high that many cannot afford it.  If we are heading to a global recession, gold may be one of the few things that retains its value.

Valued Contributor

Everyone seems to say jewelry sales are way down at the Q.  Well, surprise surprise.  They rarely have jewelry shows, and when they do, it's the same expensive JAI line (which I love, but there is other sterling silver at other price points that more people could afford), hardly any artisan crafted silver shows (remember Suarti?); used to have beautiful Gem Days with dedicated hours to all the various affordable gemstones, i.e. garnets, blue topaz, peridot, citrine, etc. etc.  Now gem days, when they actually happen, are filled with diamonds, which I don't think the Q even used to sell, or very little.  And yes 14 kt. gold has gotten quite expensive, but where are the interesting gold designs they used to fill gold rush days with, beautiful san marco bracelets, shrimp designs in rings and hoops, at least one big bold cigar band ring, lots of tri-color gold offerings, etc.  I am so glad I purchased back in the day when QVC offered variety in new designs on gold rush days, gem days, etc., not just bring back same old same old they have been presenting for two or three years and say they are on sale.  QVC, you will never get your jewelry sales back if you don't bring back things like Silver Style (ideally on Sunday mornings again with AFFORDABLE sterling, not all high-end designer sterling, gold rush days with interesting new, more gemstones than just black spinel and diamonds.  Sorry if this got too long.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh goodie, maybe we'll have a TSV of a Dyson or a bed in a box instead. Let's just say their programming lacks originality. Tradition means nothing.

Respected Contributor

It seems like they are offering a full day of jewelry on Friday, January 20th--it is just that only a few hours will focus on gold.

That is the way budgets are these days--most people cannot afford to buy gold when it has now become a major purchase, rather than just a fun accessory.

I agree with others that I am am happy I purchased some nice pieces in the past, and I am content to window-shop these days.  

Valued Contributor

Apart from the lack of gold for obvious reasons, I think they'll rebrand some of these jewelry days anyway.

California Gold Rush, Creede Strike, Klondike ... images conjured by these names don't have good optics nowadays.

I'd be surprised if we ever see these names again.