Trusted Contributor

I just saw a report last evening on something called cadmium.  Apparently, it's added to jewelry and is very toxic and causes health issues.  They took it out of kids jewelry because of the toxicity.

Jewelry imported from China most likely contains Cadmium, because it's something they use to process white metals.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this.  Anyone else hear these claims?

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

I just saw a report last evening on something called cadmium.  Apparently, it's added to jewelry and is very toxic and causes health issues.  They took it out of kids jewelry because of the toxicity.

Jewelry imported from China most likely contains Cadmium, because it's something they use to process white metals.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this.  Anyone else hear these claims?

@Qshopper1991

There was supposed to be a report on the local news last night stating which companies or stores were selling the offending jewelry but then DH and I had to leave before it came on and I forgot all about it.  I would love to know more about this, so if anyone has news about it, I hope they will post it!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Ross, Nordstrom Rack and Papaya, 

Honored Contributor

Re: Cadmium in jewelry

[ Edited ]

Cadmium in jewelry and its health risks aren't anything new. The sale of children's jewelry which contained it was stopped a while back. But now there's concerns about Cd in adult costume jewelry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5451971/

Basically the amount of Cd is not enough to cause alarm.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to guess anyone who's taken a chemistry class has heard of cadmium.

I just read Wikipedia's 'cadmium'. Seems controlled research on humans is in earliest stage.

I'm going to take your statement one step further and say they took it out of kid's jewelry because kids put everything in their mouth.

Same reason they recalled the drinking cups with cadmium in the paint. If cadmium were in the paint of a picture on the wall it wouldn't be a problem.

At this point, just keep you jewelry out of your mouth.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cadmium in jewelry

[ Edited ]

The significance of this particular testing by the nonprofit Center for Environmental Health is that many of the pieces were made of almost pure cadmium. One pendant was actually 100% cadmium, many other items above 90%.

For comparison, California allows no more than .03% in children's jewelry -- and those regulations seem to have served to remove it almost completely from those items.

Respected Contributor

Cadmium can be absorbed through the skin.   The reports indicated that jewelry made with cadmium will feel "heavy" for its size.

I have some costume jewelry that seems heavy for the size - a necklace and bracelet with beautiful crystals.    so i googled tests for Cadmium. Its tricky because tests for suspect metals are designed to test for water purity.  I don't know if there is an acid test for cadmium. There are test kits for purchase to test for gold purity and silver.

Cadmium is found in foods too....organ meats, leafy vegetables and seafood

Super Contributor

My goodness... That's scary!

Esteemed Contributor

CBC News in Canada covered the topic about cadmium in jewelry on their TV show "Marketplace".

You can watch the show on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJbtaboHsmo&feature=youtu.be

Cadmium in kids' jewelry: Back on the case (CBC Marketplace)

Valued Contributor

Ross, Nordstrom Rack