Honored Contributor

CHECKED PTR JEWELRY CREDENTIALS

As a fellow jeweler, I was quite interested in PTR's jewelry background. When he held up the book KABRA, I researched and found the jewelry company still exists in Manhattan. It seems to be a lot of tools, pre/made base metal and other metal pieces. It does say they do some custom work. PTR's name is not mentioned. Maybe this company purchased his parent's company and changed the name. 

I'm "iffy" about the types of enamel work they do (i.e. the enamel material itself). 

They also seem to have equipment to do molds and casting for other jewelers (which is a business on its own). I'm wondering how much original design work PTR does himself.

When pieces are "cast", a drawing is made, then a mold. From there the pieces are mass produced. The Q shows him filing a piece (finish work) at a jeweler' bench. His designs are limited to the "vine" theme so I'm thinking there are limited castings involved and maybe limited experience. Rarely does the jeweler take a piece from drawing design, to mold to casting to finishing....especially if not one of a kind. There are many craftspeople involved.

Honored Contributor

Re: CHECKED PTR JEWELRY CREDENTIALS

@Shanus wrote:

As a fellow jeweler, I was quite interested in PTR's jewelry background. When he held up the book KABRA, I researched and found the jewelry company still exists in Manhattan. It seems to be a lot of tools, pre/made base metal and other metal pieces. It does say they do some custom work. PTR's name is not mentioned. Maybe this company purchased his parent's company and changed the name. 

I'm "iffy" about the types of enamel work they do (i.e. the enamel material itself). 

They also seem to have equipment to do molds and casting for other jewelers (which is a business on its own). I'm wondering how much original design work PTR does himself.

When pieces are "cast", a drawing is made, then a mold. From there the pieces are mass produced. The Q shows him filing a piece (finish work) at a jeweler' bench. His designs are limited to the "vine" theme so I'm thinking there are limited castings involved and maybe limited experience. Rarely does the jeweler take a piece from drawing design, to mold to casting to finishing....especially if not one of a kind. There are many craftspeople involved.

Very interesting @Shanus. Some of his designs are reminiscent of Tiffany's jewelry from the 80's. I see a number of similarities.

Respected Contributor

I don't think they are saying that he hand crafts each piece of jewelry. That has nothing to do with him designing the jewelry.

I think it is lovely. 

If I wore jewelry more often I would have some of his pieces. I feel the same about Barbara Bixby jewelry. I think it is gorgeous. I just can't pay the prices for things I wouldn't wear that often.

Honored Contributor

highly recommend his jewelry.

i have purchased some pieces from qvc and directly from his website.

excellent quality and weight. beautiful modern designs. nice colorful stones.

the proof is in the pudding.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He has no credibility with me in any of his endeavors.  Probably buys jewelry designed by someone in China and sticks his name on it while touting his parent's jewelry business.  That's the way with much of the jewelry sold nowadays. 

Is there someone to repair it if something breaks or a stone falls out? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I wonder what his dermatology credentials are like? 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. Good point. Wonder if Google has that info. One time on air, he said something about tinkering around in his kitchen to come up w/ a formula...don't have much faith in that!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624. On PTR site, says he began skincare to solve problems w/ his own skin. Also claims his Hungarian background owned 2 skin spas(?!?!?). So does that make him an expert? Not in my book. He also claims to be a great jeweler because his family were...Uh, no!

My family on one side manufactures clothing, but I can't sew except a button repair. The other side of family owned hotels, but I wouldn't know the first thing about even starting a B&B.

He can't just sit back on his family's laurels. Go to school and learn your crafts. Have a scientific background before fooling around w/ skincare.

Honored Contributor

almost 25 years in the worldwide beauty industry......that says a lot right there. i am on auto delivery for a number of his items......all top quality and great for my skin. have been using his products for a few years now with no plans to stop. of course, the only true way to know if his products will work for you is if you actually try them. not every skincare company is "one size fits all."

Peter Thomas Roth’s passion for skin care is derived from his quest to find effective products to treat his own personal skin care concerns. Initially his primary issue was acne and as time went on anti-aging issues as well. His interests eventually grew into a desire to find the best tools to combat acne, the many signs of aging, as well as protecting the skin from sun damage. His mission: to combine effective and potent ingredients with advanced technology.

As the first generation child of Hungarian parents, skin care is an inherent part of Peter's heritage. During the 1800s and early 1900s, Peter's family owned and operated two spa resorts in Hungary. When Peter launched his company in 1993, he started with the basic soothing and healing philosophies of the many muds and minerals found in Hungarian thermal springs. While still giving credit to old-school remedies, Peter now uses the latest innovative and effective ingredients to improve on the formulas blending old Hungarian philosophies with 21st century skin care technologies to create effective skin care that does what it promises to do!

The Peter Thomas Roth brand philosophy is simple; Breakthrough formulas. Astonishing results. As the product formulator, Peter leads all research and development efforts to deliver progressive, cutting-edge products in his own lab and production facility. He scours the earth for the best and most powerful ingredients to deliver state of the art quality at effective concentrations. 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624. On PTR site, says he began skincare to solve problems w/ his own skin. Also claims his Hungarian background owned 2 skin spas(?!?!?). So does that make him an expert? Not in my book. He also claims to be a great jeweler because his family were...Uh, no!

My family on one side manufactures clothing, but I can't sew except a button repair. The other side of family owned hotels, but I wouldn't know the first thing about even starting a B&B.

He can't just sit back on his family's laurels. Go to school and learn your crafts. Have a scientific background before fooling around w/ skincare.

@Shanus  My dad grew up on a ranch in Colorado and worked summers as a cowboy.  Guess I'd better get a horse.