Honored Contributor

Re: CHANGING JEWELRY HABITS AFTER THIS....

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I can't imagine anyone caring enough one way or another when they see your jewelry.  If they give it a thought at all, they probably will assume it's fake.

@Peaches McPhee   It's not about how anyone else would feel, it's about my feelings. It'd be like walking passed starving children eating a Big Mac. 

Respected Contributor

As my husband say often, people aren't thinking about you at all LOL.  Seems a little haughty to me.

Honored Contributor

I would see it as something that you earned.

I worked my way through college and have always worked.  Today (and several years back),  there have been many  ways to get college played for.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus I understand how you feel.  Nothing like a pandemic to rearrange your priorities for you in a hurry.  Things that seemed important to me before are not so important now, in view of everything that is happening to my fellow human beings.  Seeing so many fall ill and pass away drives home the precious nature of human life.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

I would see it as something that you earned.

I worked my way through college and have always worked.  Today (and several years back),  there have been many  ways to get college played for.  

@ECBG   I don't quite get your point, Friend. I didn't earn my jewelry. My DH gifted me my wedding set...I didn't even go with him to choose what ring I'd like. I was engaged at 20. I don't think women presumed to ask for shape and size of diamond. Mine, think I posted it here is an almost 3 ct. oval w/ diamond shank and matching diamond eternity band. It doesn't exactly go unnoticed! So much so that I stop wearing it around the holiday shopping season because of fear of walking around myself in shopping centers, parking lots, etc. I just wear the band. Pearls and diamond studs were inherited and I wear them all the time. Those are my signature pieces. Earned?

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

As my husband say often, people aren't thinking about you at all LOL.  Seems a little haughty to me.

@Hoovermom   Being considerate of people who have lost their businesses and are unemployed is never haughty.

Honored Contributor

I have always worn earrings.  I haven't worn other jewelry.  I don't want anything to get under settings and prongs at this time.  There have been warnings about that.  I'll play it safe.

Honored Contributor

I read the entire thread and one point has not been mentioned.  There is so much faux everything nowdays that people really don't know the difference.  Diamonique or real diamonds?  Multi-thousand dollar natural pearl strand or cultured?  Or plain old glass?  There was a period 30 years ago when those huge CZ solitaires were very common in my area. One always wondered if they were real until you saw two of them on the same woman, two rings or a pendant and ring.  But Shanus, your heart is in the right place. I think we will see many unknown changes taking place in this country. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I have always worn earrings.  I haven't worn other jewelry.  I don't want anything to get under settings and prongs at this time.  There have been warnings about that.  I'll play it safe.

@CalminHeart   About once a week soak your earrings (except porous stones) in alcohol, jewelry cleaner, windex, Dawn, hydrogen peroxide, etc. I did this before the virus. You can also apply polysporin to the wire or post before wearing them again, just to be sure, but if you've had you're piercings for awhile, there are no areas inside the hole to trap bacteria. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I read the entire thread and one point has not been mentioned.  There is so much faux everything nowdays that people really don't know the difference.  Diamonique or real diamonds?  Multi-thousand dollar natural pearl strand or cultured?  Or plain old glass?  There was a period 30 years ago when those huge CZ solitaires were very common in my area. One always wondered if they were real until you saw two of them on the same woman, two rings or a pendant and ring.  But Shanus, your heart is in the right place. I think we will see many unknown changes taking place in this country. 

@depglass   Maybe because I make jewelry, I can tell a fake. If you look at a CZ stone, for example, you can see through to your skin. You can't with a diamond. Gemstones are not perfect unless you're a millionaire...no pure bright green, clear emeralds. Rubies are not clear bright red,but rather a pinkish hue and sometimes cloudy. The Diamonique grouping w/ colored stones on a tennis bracelet that's supposed to look like a gemstone bracelet? Really?