Super Contributor

Re: Buying jewelry on eBay . . .

@patbz : Could you recommend me that seller?  Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Margui :  I use many sellers, not just one.  I don't know your taste, budget etc; the secret is to check the categories you like daily, know your appropriate prices, don't be afraid to contact seller and negotiate.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz ,

Totally agree with you.  If you know the brand you certainly can find many hidden treasures that are already retired🌻I make sure that the seller has a good reputation and remember if the price is too good to be true...

Valued Contributor

I buy a lot of jewelry on ebay.  Mostly Judith Ripka or LOGO or Premier designs.  I've never had a problem. 

Trusted Contributor

I buy once in a while (and sell) jewelry on ebay... no problems.  I agree - you have to read the descriptions and seller feedback.  Usually if it's too good to be true, it is!  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been buying jewelry for many many years on Ebay and I also go by the seller's ratings and reviews.  I have bought top end pieces such as a vintage art deco diamond watch in platinum and also another one in 14k white gold. My best purchase was a platinum art deco old european cut diamond ring that has a 1.30 carat center diamond with small diamonds on each side in a stair step design.  Also, a white gold diamonds by the yard necklace which is gorgeous as it has 10 diamond stations which are 20 points each. Not to mention several other diamond rings I bought in the past and dimond earrings.

Lately I have been into buying 14k solid yellow gold necklaces. Found a beautiful byzantine that QVC had for $1500; I ended up buying for $600 from a seller. Also have several other heavy weigh 14k yellow gold chains from Ebay

So the buys are there and you can save lots of money over the brick and mortar jewelry stores.  I got my friend into Ebay and she loves it. 

Contributor

Hi, Crawford123.....you did get me into buying off of eBay and I agree with everything you posted.  The pieces I have bought from eBay are fantastic and worth way more than I paid for them.  You do have to watch who you buy from though.  Read the descriptions very carefully and check their feedbacks.  I have also bought a lot from Jtv and Evine.  Not anymore.  Their stuff is junky and overpriced now.  I was returning more than I was keeping so I stopped buying from them.  One of the worst vendors on Evine in my opinion is Stefano Oro.  His stuff looks beautiful and very different on the air, but it is a poorly made and paper thin.  I can't believe he has the nerve to stamp it Italy.  The cheapest Italian gold I have ever seen.  Ever. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hayseed00  For me the site with the best vintage jewelry is Etsy,you can email the seller,and in my experience

they respond fast.From jewelry,handbags,dolls,etc.I have ordered jewelry from eBay in the past,I did not have any issues.But Etsy is more hands on.

My recent purchase was a vintage Basset hound  two sided pendant with a dog paw,outline with dog bones on the back.The design is amazing, no modern jewelry has this kind of detail without charging a lot of money.This pendant today would cost you $600.00 and more.The substantial weght and design was well worth the price.

Trusted Contributor

Lol you took all the words right out of my mouth.  I bought a tassle neckline on Evine from Stefano and when I got it the dangles would not hang properly and were as thin as sheet of paper.  At the time JTV was also carrying it.  I Immediately returned it and swore off both JTV and Evine.  Ebay is my to go place to shop for all my jewelry;  I get terrific buys and like you said it is way worth more than I paid if taken to a jeweler to view.  I have a white gold 2 carat diamonds by the yard that was from a seller in New York with 100% rating and it is 5 times as much in other jewelry stores.  You have my heart!!