Honored Contributor

Buying jewelry on eBay . . .

Always check the feedback, and read the negatives.  Some sellers have thousands and thousands of sales and 99.5 (which sounds pretty good) translates to dozens of negatives.  Unshipped items, atrocious quality, missing stones, outright lies.  No one will sell a solid 14K ring for 10.00, for example. I'm surpised eBay doesn't boot some of these sellers right off the site.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Buying jewelry on eBay . . .

[ Edited ]

@depglass  I use to buy broken vintage watches that might just need a battery and cleaned up and then resell them, but the quality of Ebay sellers has gone downhill and there is alot of total junk on there.  When Ebay first came out it was a fun and there were quite a few great deals on the site but not now.  Always jeck your account periodically as far as your correct address.  I was hacked once but Ebay did refund me.

Honored Contributor

Hayseed0, I know.  A few of my favorite sellers are gone.  Even in my own antique glass field prices have tanked because of a lot of repros and uninformed sellers.  I do check Ebay for some older QVC and Evine pieces, but not much luck.  I'm lucky I have a local online jewelry auction in which to buy watches and rings.  

Esteemed Contributor

I buy a lot (primarily NA jewelry) on Ebay and have never had a problem with jewelry.  Daily I check out new items for sale of the items I target and if I see something interesting I "watch" it.  Close to end of auction I may put such an item on Bidnapper of I may contact seller and make an offer (after checking write up, shipping, feedback etc).  I never buy from someone with less than 99% feedback.  I have a beautiful jewelry collection!

Respected Contributor

Does Ebay still do auctions, or is it all sales now?  I remember the thrill of bidding on something and watching for last minute bids in order to change mine.  Then, the thrill of victory - or the agony of defeat.  Ahh, when the internet was a kinder, gentle, simpler place! Woman LOL

Regular Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Hayseed0, I know.  A few of my favorite sellers are gone.  Even in my own antique glass field prices have tanked because of a lot of repros and uninformed sellers.  I do check Ebay for some older QVC and Evine pieces, but not much luck.  I'm lucky I have a local online jewelry auction in which to buy watches and rings.  

While I agree that depression glass prices have gone down, I feel it is mainly due to the cost of shipping as well as the fact that most of today's generation does not appreciate such items.  They are into "new" and what is current.  

Trusted Contributor

Only bought a couple of jewelry items on eBay.  Mostly I buy sewing supplies and unique fabrics, with the occasional Capodimonte piece.  I've found that you have to read VERY CAREFULLY what the description says, because synthetic stones are often headlined as real, gold turns out to mean plate and so on.  A lot of the jewelry is trashy-looking foreign knock-offs that somehow get listed under "fine jewelry."

Respected Contributor

I used to buy a lot of QVC, HSN and Evine jewelry on ebay - all 14k and/or gemstone pieces. I stuck to this category because I could recognize the pieces as having seen them on air. I got some really good deals. When gold was really high I sold a lot of the pieces, mainly gold bracelets, to US Gold Buyers and doubled and tripled my money. I still have a 9 carat 14K gold multistone peridot pendant that I got for $35. It's a little to showy to wear much but I love it. I never got burned. I don't buy jewelry any more but I get some really good deals on household items.

Super Contributor

That's why is not recommended to buy jewelry on Ebay. I bought it once and is not the best quality. For collectibles like Precious Moments, coins, cellphone cases, comic books and memorabilia is great.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Margui :  I'm sorry your jewelry buying experience on Ebay wasn't the best, but that certainly isn't my experience.  I buy only from well known NA artists (each of whom has a very distinct style and signs his/her items).  You mentioned that "buying jewelry isn't recommended"; that is not true.