Honored Contributor

I have never seen a black opal. I saw this one from Affinity Gems and am thinking about ordering it.  Does anyone own one and are the colors as vibrant as it looks?

Honored Contributor

@Pecky    Black Opals aren't really black.  They're blue but if they're any good, they do have brilliant points of vivid color. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Black Opals

[ Edited ]

If you really want to get a good opal from a TV shopping channel then buy more than one, probably three. I say that b/c gems that have play of color, matrix or color change qualities won't all have the same characteristics in each stone. If you buy multiples of the same ring then you can pick the one which you like the best and then return the others. That way you get what you want and you won't be settling for something less and left wondering if you got a dud.

ETA - Opals that display red color-play are considered more valuable than those that do not and that's true for most any kind of opal (excluding Peruvian, Oregon opaques).

Respected Contributor

@Pecky 

Hopes this helps.

A Black Opal is a natural solid stone with a black or nearly black body tone (i.e. background appearance). Whether an Opal is a black or not can be determined by merely closing ones eyes and squinting at the face of the stone. All colours are ignored and the overall body tone (blackness level) can then be seen.

Respected Contributor

REAL black opals are very rare and quite expensive.  They were mainly from Australia.

Many of the newer Ethiopian opals are enhanced to create the look of a black background.

Dye or sulfuric acid can be used.

If you listen to the presentation, you will hear Jeff say this is an Ethiopian opal that has been smoke treated.

The color is not necessarily permanently stable, and the stone value is not clear.  Opals can be treated to have many background colors besides black.

The final product might still be very pretty and fun to wear. However, it is not a collector's item.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you really want to get a good opal from a TV shopping channel then buy more than one, probably three. I say that b/c gems that have play of color, matrix or color change qualities won't all have the same characteristics in each stone. If you buy multiples of the same ring then you can pick the one which you like the best and then return the others. That way you get what you want and you won't be settling for something less and left wondering if you got a dud.

@SilleeMee   Great idea! I've ordered 3 or 4 items in turquoise and all were substantially different. I only liked one ring out the bunch and returned the others. I think they should be more open about the customer not receiving the same the same stone as shown. 

My friend ordered a rose de france ring years ago in a threesome. They ranged anywhere from hardly pink to a deeper purple. 

Honored Contributor

I have a decent sized  oval shaped opal--got it when I was a kid--it has a chip out of it tho--is on a white base with the opal on top an then clear quartz over it---is a brilliant blue with tons of fire---it was given to me--should have someone look at it--the ding in it is a drag---but maybe could be used in a pendant with some other stones covering the flaw--

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I bought an opal bracelet off TV.  The one shown on air looked really good. Then I wondered if the one I would receive would look as good b/c I knew not all opals of a kind look the same from one stone to another. That's when I decided to buy three and send two back. I'm glad I did that b/c the two bracelets I sent back were definitely not worth the price. Not being there in person, when you buy jewelry off TV, is one big disadvantage and the only way I see around it is to buy in multiples if you can swing it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus 

I bought an opal bracelet off TV.  The one shown on air looked really good. Then I wondered if the one I would receive would look as good b/c I knew not all opals of a kind look the same from one stone to another. That's when I decided to buy three and send two back. I'm glad I did that b/c the two bracelets I sent back were definitely not worth the price. Not being there in person, when you buy jewelry off TV, is one big disadvantage and the only way I see around it is to buy in multiples if you can swing it.

@SilleeMee   ITA. Some stones are as they appear on screen. Any others like opals, turquoise, jade, or clear,  colored stones could not be as saturated as the ones shown on models. They choose the best ones to show and who knows what arrives in your mailbox. 

Honored Contributor

Red is the color that is desirable.  Most black opals display a blue to green color shift.  If the snap of red color in the mix, it costs a bit more. Black opals are the most expensive (especially from the Lightning Ridge mine in Australia)  Ethiopian opals are too "milky" looking. They're usually decked out in platinum with frilly diamonds.  It makes the colors of opals stand out more. Also when ever opals are displayed, they use a black background in order to bring out the colors.  The setting of diamonds/platinum costs more then the opal.  It's not considered a precious gem. 

No matter what the gem is, red is hardest color for Nature to produce. One reason why ruby is considered the king of gems.  The most valuable color diamond is a red one.  (Natural...not enhanced)  Very rare to see. Typical of diamond snobbery, still not as valuable as the colorless diamond. i once remembered an Australian host on Gem Shopping describe a colored diamond (yellow) and said it was $15,00.00 but if it was a same white one, it would be 15 million.