Contributor

yellow919:

I hope that you are right (and she shows up on another channel).  You are certtainly right about her pieces being unique. I realize that some of her designs will remain on the Q at least for a while, but that is just not the same as seeing them presented (especially by Ms. Bixby herself), is it?  I guess we will have to be on the lookout elsewhere...

Honored Contributor

I could see this coming, BB was rarely on the Q for quite awhile. I always loved her shows and have her Buddha charm and a key, most of her stuff is out of my price range for silver jewelry.

Super Contributor
Yeah that ticked me off. She kept blabbing and cut Barbara off. A only wanted to boast about herself. Not watching her anymore
Honored Contributor

@AngelLove2 wrote:
I saw a little of the show with Ali. Thought she was a terrible host. She talked and talked. The vendor hardly got to say a word. It was my first time seeing Ali present. I was surprised as people raved about when she first started.

Frankly I can't take her.  I went back to view the video from 1 a.m. show because I swore I heard her say something totally inappropriate and Barbara seemed to be at a loss for words.  Unfortunately, they are "unable to load the videos" for that show.   I was wondering if it was because of what I thought I heard.

Honored Contributor

@barb40 wrote:

I love Barbara's designs, and I have many of her pieces. I am sad to learn she will no longer appear on QVC, I had no idea she just had her last show...I always enjoyed her presentations and her descriptions of her gorgeous designs.  

Me too!  I'm not someone who likes fussy jewelry, but I have always loved her things even though some of them can be quite ornate.  I love the combination of oxidized silver, 18k and (sometimes) gemstones.  I hope they continue to offer her pieces even if she no longer appears on air.

Honored Contributor

I was never a fan of BB's jewelry, flower and animal mofifs are not my style.  But I always admired and appreciated Barbara's talent.  I watched most of her shows because she was delightful and never pushy.  She gave insight into her creative process and seemed so appreciative of the customer response to her jewelry.  She had no sales shtick; she was a top quality designer.

Interesting that it's the real designers that will no longer have on-air presentations.  Judith Ripka, Louis Dell'Olio, and now Barbara Bixby.  There are still some left, on-air but that list has dwindled fast. 

Now, if you have name recognition in any genre, and can bring a fan base to buy whatever you put your name on, that seems to be all that really matters. 

Respected Contributor

After appearing on air for over 20 years Bixby, Louis Dell Olio and Judith Ripka have all opted not to appear on air any more and just design.  They just do not enjoy traveling to West Chester, PA anymore.  I only purchase from a few vendors on QVC.  Bixby, Ripka, Dell Olio and Dr. Denese. I will still buy their merchandise, but totally understand.  They are all getting along in age.

Regular Contributor

I LOBE Barbara’s amazing work & have several dozen of her pieces which I treasure.  I’m not a fan of dragons, etc., but her pieces like crosses & flowers with gemstones are truly works of art.  I hope she will continue offering her work on Q even if not presenting.  Judith Ripka has her daughter-in-law presenting as I guess she’s not going to give up the revenue Q brinhs in despite her wildly successdul couture business.  I wish Ms. Bixby well as she comtinues in her artistic endeavors & hope she will continue providing us with her lovely pieces.

Valued Contributor

Just watching a rerun of the last show and she said she is still designing and her items can be found on her website. She might have said qvc.com  but not sure. It's just not that she is not doing the shows anymore. 

Frequent Contributor

I am so glad I have Barbara's earlier pieces which I enjoy wearing! I too have noticed that her designs have gone more eastern and more ornate. I am not a big fan of that and I do understand that QVC shoppers are not her main clientele now. The items on her website are extremely expensive for what they are and I am not sure if the crowd she is designing for now will even be able to afford her items. I wish she had more of the delicate and floral items and I hoped she could bring back the vine and leaf ring. 

Honestly I don't know how QVC even stays in business as everything they sell can be found elsewhere and for less. I bought some clothing on QVC, and the items have stretched, lost shape or just deteriorated in the wash. I don't know who buys clothing, shoes and electronics on here since shipping charges are ridiculous with items being overpriced as is and return shipping is cost prohibitive.

As baby boomers age and have less income at their disposal and Gen X and Y not being interested in this format (I am an X, and I only shopped for a few Bixby items here), the only remaining demographic will be Gen Z and millenials. With these not being potential QVC shoppers I see the channel going the way of Sears in the next 10 years or so.

As far as Evine (shopHQ) and JTV go, I don't think they'll be much successful either. They are selling a lot of low quality overpriced items.