Valued Contributor

Bixby J329129....new earrings...cement?

In the description of these new Bixby earrings is the term "mint colored cement." Can someone explain to me what that is?  I know what cement is and have never seen this term used in a jewelry description. 

Hoping this is just a very bad choice of words. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bixby J329129....new earrings...cement?

There is jewelry made from cement.....you can look on Etsy.......

It MAY BE cement in these too!

Honored Contributor

The color of many pale-colored natural stones may be deepened and improved, with an apparent increase in value, by adding a colored cement or liquid between the back of the stone and its mounting. This is particularly true of emeralds, rubies and pargarnets in old jewelry. A reflective mirror alone accomplishes the desired effect on garnets. Al though doublets made with colored cement (triplets) are used most frequently to imitate emerald, those utilizing other colors of cement is encountered also. Sapphire-blue imitations are the most prevalent, although yellow, purple and red are seen occasionally as well. These doublets are most frequently made of either quartz or synthetic spinel.

http://www.gemstones-guide.com/Types-of-Doublets-Triplets-and-Foilbackcs.html

Triplet – a triplet has three segments, or two segments separated by a layer of colored cement. Prevalence: common.

A triplet contains two or more segments of a gem, or different gems, that are joined by layers of glue. In a profile view, this image shows a thin seam of opal in the center that is backed by dyed black chalcedony, and is overlayed (the domed area) by a quartz cabochon.

Triplet

http://www.gia.edu/gem-imitation

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Thank you, sunshine, that explains things so much better. 

Valued Contributor

After looking at the description of the earrings, the mint cement is the base that supports the thin layer of the mother of pearl.   This is the technique for creating doublets and triplets, a way of utilizing thinner or more fragile gems, such as opals or mother of pearl, in jewelry design, where otherwise the fragile gem would be discarded.  My guess is that the cement is colored "mint" in order to colorize the thinner and more transparent slice of mother of pearl.  Then the faceted crystal quartz is laid on top of the mother of pearl.  
Barbara Bixby has used this technique in other pieces.  I have her skull ring that is similarly done with the carved quartz skull laid on top of Abalone shell.  The blue tint of the shell shows through the clear quartz skull, giving the illusion of a glowing blue skull.  
~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

How interesting~!  I really appreciate everything I learn on these forums....  thank you!  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*