Trusted Contributor

Biting My Nails about Gem Shopping Purchase

For those who wath Gem Shopping channel, you may empathize with my dilemma. This channel sells high end new and estate jewelry.

For my 73rd birthday I bought from Sam an estate pair of lavender jade earrings 8 grams 14K, substantial. They are all that and more--full, descriptive invoice encased in plastic.

Problem for me is they cost $1200. I am a jade collector and this is my first lavender jade.

What do you think?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Biting My Nails about Gem Shopping Purchase

If you collect jade, you should be able to judge when you finally see it.

At that price point you can already guess it might be cloudy.  Consistent color is harder.

Crossing my fingers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I shop from them.  One of the few places I can get high quality gems set in real 14K,18K and Platinum. Almost all gems are surrounded by diamonds. Even the cheapest prices will have some diamonds set in solid gold. Kind of a refuge from silver.  (they sell silver, but not very much). They also offer all 14K, 18K, 21K & 24K all gold.  I've also purchased all 18K gold from them.  It's expensive.  But if you want good metal that is not layered over silver, it's the place to buy.  They ship quickly and you must sign for anything you buy. Recently they've introduced "easy pay".  I've always paid the full amount, but I haven't tried their easy pay.  

Per Jade.  The good Jade is Jadeite.  Make sure if the item is Jade or Jadeite.  The price sounds like the setting (gold with diamonds)  If that is the case, then it's a good price. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you for sharing your experiences with them. I watch occasionally and wondered about the quality. I may just have to splurge on something one of these days Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Is lavender jade a natural or dyed color?  I once bought a fire opal pendant in gold from them.  It was the same smokey burnt orange as fire opals from other sources.  Haven't been back.  I perceive this color as not as desirable as the clearer stones verging on red.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar , So good to hear from you. Yes, this company is legit.

I am transitioning from buying less and paying more.

The lavender jade earrings are everything I could have hoped for.  I just have to get used to the idea of paying more for getting more and more!

Trusted Contributor

So, I have the earrings in hand and have tried them on. They are exquisite. I still have not cut off the non-refundable tag, only because of the price. I am not used to paying this much, but my gut tells me, yes they are worth that.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass , True lavender jade is natural, not dyed. It is very desirable.

As a jade lover, I have become very discerning about natural jade and dyed jade. Often on shopping channels this is not divulged on cursory examination.

True, valuable jade requires study.

Respected Contributor

@FLgardener I think if you have the mula,spend it on something that will make you happy.I am in love with bling as well and sometimes watch that channel.I go nuts just watching.Show us a picture of item when you get it.I love jade also!

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

@depglass , True lavender jade is natural, not dyed. It is very desirable.

As a jade lover, I have become very discerning about natural jade and dyed jade. Often on shopping channels this is not divulged on cursory examination.

True, valuable jade requires study.

@FLgardener, this website (GIA) has some very pertinent information about lavender jade.

https://www.gia.edu/doc/Some-Observations-on-the-Treatment-of-Lavender-Jadeite.pdf