Honored Contributor

Re: Big watches

[ Edited ]

@scotnovel wrote:

I don't care for them either and have never worn a watch as a fashion statement.  These days I wonder why anyone actually wears one at all since our cell phones and every electronic device has the time.  

This is a good point, however I hardly ever have my cell phone with me.  I gues I am onw of the rare old schoolers lol  I did not grow up with cell phones.  I do try to keep it in my car though.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I never meant tiny watches!  I know the kind you mean that says "little old lady."

I just meant the more moderate size traditionally sized for women!

Some of the bigger ones look like they are more sized for men.

By the way, if you ever watch Evine, they often have women modeling men's watches, which I will NEVER understand.  I doubt women are buying those for themselves.  Just don't know why they don't have a guy modeling them.  At least (even if a woman is buying them) you can see what they would look like on the man you're buying for.  They just look stupid on the women showing them.  I don't think they are suggesting that a woman wear some of those!

I agree to each their own.  Since I view watches as jewelry, I will be glad when it cycles around back to smaller (not tiny) women's watches.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

WHY are you so insistent that watch sizes should "cycle around back to smaller women's watches"???

What's wrong with Small, Medium and Large sizes for women?   Whatever size you want, there are watches out there.

Buy what you personally like and please skip the inference that others should wear "the more moderate size traditionally sized for women".     If you read the posts above, then you know that some women actually LIKE a larger watch, even if you don't.   JMO

Don't take it so personally!  It's just my opinion for me!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@scotnovel wrote:

I don't care for them either and have never worn a watch as a fashion statement.  These days I wonder why anyone actually wears one at all since our cell phones and every electronic device has the time.  

Well, if my phone is in my purse, I can look at my beutiful watch and know the time.   Why have to pull out my phone when my wrist is always so handy?

Honored Contributor

My cell stays buried in my purse turned off.  I rarely use it and certainly wouldn't dig it out just to check the time.  I love my watches and will continue to use them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I stopped wearing watches completely for a number of years. I was always in front of a computer, or could check my phone. I didn't start wearing watches again until maybe four years ago when I found the watch shows on Evine (ShopNBC, then). 

I wear watches now like another piece of jewelry, in that I like them to look great and not just be functional. I have a few watches that are actually pretty difficult to read, but I like them anyway because they are so interesting and attractive. I prefer automatic movements so that I don't have to change the batteries, but I have quite a few quartz watches as well. I prefer well made watches. I don't want strictly a fashion watch that won't last long. I find that a lot of fashion watches aren't exactly cheap, so it often doesn't cost that much more to buy a good watch. The generous ladies on the Watch Collectors thread (in this forum) have been teaching me about movements, complictations, brands, sizing, etc.

Respected Contributor

Watches change, because fashion changes and the jewelry and watch industry wants to find a way to make more money. I remember big watches from the 1980s. But this time around, they seemed to not be so trendy. They have been around for a much longer time. Of course, people are bigger and taller and many 40-plus women like the watches because they can see them.

Someone said that we really don't "need" watches=we have cell phones. We don't really "need" them. Sometimes they are more handy than a cell, because you can be hands-free. We're kind of forced into cellphones--very few phone booths these days. However, cell phones have evolved into something more than what you chuck into your purse and forget about.  Likewise, watches have evolved into accessories that tell time. And there's nothing wrong with that.::

Honored Contributor

Love your watches.  What we really don't need is that scourge on civilization, the cell phone.  Chuck the cells and keep watches.  Bet you never heard of someone causing a wreck because he glanced at his watch.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love big watches, and have always loved big watches even before they became the rage.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I can't wear anything BUT large watches. my eyesight isn't the best, therefore I go for the larger size. I also like the sporty look, so it's always a chronograph. granted it's large and weighty, but when you're used to wearing that kind, you don't even notice the weight and bulk. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Big watches

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@scotnovel wrote:

This is a good point, however I hardly ever have my cell phone with me.  I gues I am onw of the rare old schoolers lol  I did not grow up with cell phones.  I do try to keep it in my car though.

I am one of those older folks who didn't grow up with cell phones either, but I keep mine in my purse, for use in an emergency, and to see the time when I am out and about.  I don't need to dig around in my purse for it as others mentioned, because I keep it in a cell phone or other purse pocket so it is easily reached.