Respected Contributor

I have no intention of insulting anyone who does like them.  We all have different tastes, and some people like to go with what's in style at the moment.

I personally CANNOT make myself like them.  I see them as masculine, clunky looking on a woman, and I wish the style would phase out.

I don't understand why women want to have something masculine (I love being a girl!) and I don't find them attractive on a woman's arm.

Am I the only one that just can't like them?

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I don't mind big watches, but prefer to wear medium size watches.  

Honored Contributor

I think it's just how people perceive beauty.  I personally love the larger watches and have several including a square Citizen Eco Drive (with some bling) which has gotten a lot of compliments.  I think some look masculine but IMHO most don't.  I don't care for the look on an extremely small petite wrist because I feel it overwhelms a tiny person, but I've always felt the larger watches balance out my 7" wrist and hands, which are not petite.  

I also have a rose gold Gossip with a round face and the most interesting bi-beveling/faceting around the edges.  By far the most interesting watch I own....  have actually had a lady lunge for my arm with that one trying to see the faceted edging.

I love clocks and watches and could easily collect them.  I personally think that the style is swinging back toward smaller ladies watches, but I hope they don't get too small (think 60's).... cause I can't read them anymore... LOL!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have no intention of insulting anyone who does like them.  We all have different tastes, and some people like to go with what's in style at the moment.

I personally CANNOT make myself like them.  I see them as masculine, clunky looking on a woman, and I wish the style would phase out.

I don't understand why women want to have something masculine (I love being a girl!) and I don't find them attractive on a woman's arm.

Am I the only one that just can't like them?

Hyacinth

It takes all kinds. Personally, I like the larger watches because I'm not a small woman, I have a large wrist and I think the skinny ladies bracelet-style watches are too dainty for me. I also like the fun bright colors and interesting designs and they tend to make more of those in the men's sizes than women's. I often like a sporty diver-style watch as a contrast to more feminine clothing and jewelry.

I'm not a girly-girl, even though I do love fine jewelry, so larger watches work for me. I can see how if you were a small woman with a very feminine, more dressy style, the large sportier watches wouldn't work. But that's why they make so many different styles. To each her own.

Honored Contributor

I have a sizable collection of large watches (stay away from the watch forum enablers) and dearly love them all.  I'll wear anything up to 40mm, and have a few that are larger.

My watches for the most part are sleek and elegant, many with diamonds.  I do have a few "clunky" Invictas but there's a place for those too.  I have one beautiful very small Carolyn Pollack watch but I never wear it (can hardly read it).  To me, tiny watch = little old lady.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I just love big watches, they actually make me fee more feminine because of the contrast. I think everyone knows what looks best on them, and for me ditsy little watches just don't look right. Everyone should just buy what they like.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I wish you could see the watch my daughter wants me to buy her.  She'll use it for hiking, etc.

This thing does everything but cook your dinner!  Ha!  Anyway, she has a small wrist and the thing is big and very thick.

I can't talk her out of it, so I'll probably get it.  It costs at least $600 freaking dollars but when she's hiking on a mountain and the temperature says a storm is coming in an alarm will go off so she can get shelter.

I guess (I'm trying to convince myself) it's worth the money.  Some of these watches you almost need an arm brace to hold up your arm.  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

I love watches and I'm very picky about them. The sweet spot for the best size for me is 35-38 mm. My watches MUST have black or blue hands and numbers/hour markers. Also, I strongly prefer automatic. 

Respected Contributor

love em - especially if they are mostly gold in color and very simple otherwise

Honored Contributor

Re: Big watches

[ Edited ]

I don't dislike them, but they don't look good on me.  I bought an inexpensive large watch one time to try it and never wore it.  I have a 5" wrist, and it was just too big.  I don't like tiny watches either.  I have to be able to read them.  I like a medium average size watch.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau