Respected Contributor

Beware Alex Woo J355718 gold clad

[ Edited ]

In April I bought one of her gold clad pendants. I am not hard on jewelry. Nor do I wear any jewelery in the shower and I don't sleep in my jewelry. In June I noticed the chain had turned almost brown and the pendant had tiny dark spots on it. Since it was past the 30 day period I emailed the  Alex Woo company. They said they didn't represent the 'Charm Bar ' line and could not help me. They refused to give me any other contact information for Alex Woo. I did call QVC and they said to return it and mark it defective and they would send a replacement.

I have bought gold tone costume jewelry for years and never had this happen. 

I would never buy anything from her again!

Super Contributor

Re: Beware Alex Woo J355718 gold clad

I had the same thing happen with Judith Ripka jewelry, gold clad. Earrings turned black  badly, too late to return. This happened in  her silver saver jewelry box. Many other pieces have turned over the years.

Valued Contributor

They charge extra for gold clad and it has never held it's color. I've had it from different companies, and it just isn't going to look like gold for long. Clad, vermeal, filled whatever they want to call it, I doesn't last. And if it's sterling, the silver under it doesn't shine like silver should either. The only gold that lasts like gold is gold.

Respected Contributor

Just an FYI.  Gold "clad" is a QVC term.  It's just a rather light coating of gold.  The only way to buy gold over silver IMO is gold vermeil.  It's required by law that anything labeled vermeil has to be silver covered with no less than 100-120 mils of gold.  HSN's old Technibond line was 40 mils by comparison, and even that wore off pretty fast.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@ellaphant Try keeping the piece in a secure ziploc-type of bag (away from air) and avoid perfumes and hair sprays when you have it on. I found a set of small plastic zip bags online and I put most pieces of my jewelry in them. If this issue happens with your second piece, take it to a jeweler to see if they can put another coat of plating on it and ask them for other ideas. Good luck!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

How cheaply is this stuff made today??  I have quite a few costume jewelry pieces that I inherited from my mom in "gold" and "silver" from the 1950s and early 1960s and they look as good today as they did then.  

Super Contributor

They may have been a better quality back then.  I think everything is made cheaper now and not made to last.