Regular Contributor

Best way to clean Jai Jewelry

Months ago I purchased the beautiful JAI Sterling Silver & 14K Gold Station Box Chain bracelet and the matching 18" necklace.  I would like to know the best way to clean these gorgous pieces as the design has oxidation, and I want to bring back the shine and color that it had upon purchase.  I am aware that one can't clean oxidated silver pieces the same as you would others that do not have it in its' design. Thank you for your input.     

Contributor

Re: Best way to clean Jai Jewelry

I like to use the pandora silver cleaning cloth, works great. You can buy one anywhere they sell pandora jewerly

Honored Contributor

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

Months ago I purchased the beautiful JAI Sterling Silver & 14K Gold Station Box Chain bracelet and the matching 18" necklace.  I would like to know the best way to clean these gorgous pieces as the design has oxidation, and I want to bring back the shine and color that it had upon purchase.  I am aware that one can't clean oxidated silver pieces the same as you would others that do not have it in its' design. Thank you for your input.     

@MyTwoLoves   I use "Sunshine Cloths". They are yellow treated cloths to clean all silver and gold jewelry They should be available at most jewelry stores. The oxidation on your Jai bracelet is quite difficult to remove...usually only with chemicals. 

Regular Contributor

@Darlingdino wrote:

I like to use the pandora silver cleaning cloth, works great. You can buy one anywhere they sell pandora jewerly

Thank you for answering. 

Regular Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@MyTwoLoves   I use "Sunshine Cloths". They are yellow treated cloths to clean all silver and gold jewelry They should be available at most jewelry stores. The oxidation on your Jai bracelet is quite difficult to remove...usually only with chemicals. 

Thanks for answering.  I never knew that.  I thought I had heard somewhere that the silver cleaning cloths can actually take the oxidation away from the silver item and make it more of the typical shiny silver color.  ????

Honored Contributor

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

Thanks for answering.  I never knew that.  I thought I had heard somewhere that the silver cleaning cloths can actually take the oxidation away from the silver item and make it more of the typical shiny silver color.  ????

@MyTwoLoves  Many do not understand the oxidation process. Not to get too technical, once the silver piece is finished, I apply a product (acid) called Silver Black or another is Liver of Sulfer. Wearing gloves, goggles and w/ baking powder nearby to neutralize if any acid spills, the piece is dipped into the diluted (w/ water) solution. When it's reached the desired level of oxidation, it's removed with long handled tweezers, rinsed, dried and polished so unoxidized portions achieve a high shine. A treated polishing cloth cannot remove an acid treated oxidized piece of sterling silver. There are base metal jewelry pieces and beads that are treated to look darker in places, but this fake oxidation will eventually come off. 

Regular Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@MyTwoLoves  Many do not understand the oxidation process. Not to get too technical, once the silver piece is finished, I apply a product (acid) called Silver Black or another is Liver of Sulfer. Wearing gloves, goggles and w/ baking powder nearby to neutralize if any acid spills, the piece is dipped into the diluted (w/ water) solution. When it's reached the desired level of oxidation, it's removed with long handled tweezers, rinsed, dried and polished so unoxidized portions achieve a high shine. A treated polishing cloth cannot remove an acid treated oxidized piece of sterling silver. There are base metal jewelry pieces and beads that are treated to look darker in places, but this fake oxidation will eventually come off. 

Thanks for your input.  So...how do you clean it?

Honored Contributor

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@MyTwoLoves   Clean any gold or silver jewelry w/ a yellow treated "Sunshine Cloth"...available at most jewelry stores or any silver jewelry cleaning cloth. 

Honored Contributor

I remember using liver of sulpher at summer camp when I was a kid.  We were making copper jewelry.  No gloves, no mask.  Between that and the mercury we played with in broken thermometers, its a miracle we had no lasting impact.  Knock on wood.  

Regular Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MyTwoLoves wrote:

@MyTwoLoves   Clean any gold or silver jewelry w/ a yellow treated "Sunshine Cloth"...available at most jewelry stores or any silver jewelry cleaning cloth. 

Thank you.