Honored Contributor

Re: Best Place to Sell?

[ Edited ]

one more thing....that I have learned from reselling with few exceptions a Birkin perhaps, what I paid has no bearing on what someone is willing to pay.

you need to figure out a price that will make you 

happy 

Honored Contributor

Unless you find that one special buyer who falls in love with your piece for whatever reason, follow advice from @Shanus 

Take your pieces to a reputable local jeweler who has been in business for many  years.   Get their estimate and advice.  Depending on what you have to offer they may even take something on consignment.   But sure you totally understand the terms of that transaction before you agree.

@Kalli 

Honored Contributor

Jewelry is cheap to ship.  Don't let anyone talk you into arranging pickup at your home or near your home, no matter how heat-tuggig their story is.  

Respected Contributor

Some jewelry stores will sell high-end pieces on consignment.   They also provide an appraisal so everyone is protected.  However, if the piece is not $$$$ enough it might make more sense to sell for scrap.  

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Unless you find that one special buyer who falls in love with your piece for whatever reason, follow advice from @Shanus 

Take your pieces to a reputable local jeweler who has been in business for many  years.   Get their estimate and advice.  Depending on what you have to offer they may even take something on consignment.   But sure you totally understand the terms of that transaction before you agree.

@Kalli 

@software   Yes and I'll add to be sure your pieces have a recent appraisal so you know what it's worth and how much money you should expect to get for it.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!  Most of my 14K was purchased when gold was cheap, like $20 a gram.  While it would be fun to watch my stuff get auctioned off on the bay, I would NOT be psyched about wrapping, going to PO, getting tracking #s, having to make claims, etc.  E B A Y is definitely on the side of the buyer.  Last time I sold something there I had to reduce my price on 2 separate items because even though I had provided pictures I had one person complain about a small flaw, the other buyer claimed my gold wasn't 14K as per HER jeweler's assessment.  I think she lied to get a reduced price.  JMHO.  Looking back, I'm mad that I caved. Haven't sold there since. That was at least 10 years ago.  

So since all but the rings are purely 14K without stones, I think it's best if I go through an online buyer like USA gold. If you've sold there, and you feel like sharing, I'd like to hear the process you went through. I see on a gold calculator that the price fluctuates during the day.  How do they determine the going rate for the moment that you sell?

When it comes to the rings, I'll have to decide whether to try our local jeweler or maybe e t s y. Has anyone sold stuff there?  Experiences? Any negatives?

Respected Contributor

Forgot to ask this...had anyone sold their Eterna Gold to be melted down?  I'm wondering it it was a problem due to their unique gold mixture?

Respected Contributor

@Kalli 

Avoid eBay at all costs for valuable items.

A lot of buyers claim the item was lost in the mail or never arrived and then refuse to pay.......................

Apparently, the postal insurance process is a nightmare to deal with.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Forgot to ask this...had anyone sold their Eterna Gold to be melted down?  I'm wondering it it was a problem due to their unique gold mixture?

I have scrapped several pieces no problem.

Regular Contributor

I've been using US Gold Buyers on and off for several years to sell off my gold jewelry. I've found them to have the best rates, and the process is extremely easy.