Respected Contributor

Thinking of paring down my jewelry collection.  Hoping folks will be willing to share their experiences as to where is the best place to sell?

Have rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets.  14K with stones, 14K without stones.  Only have a few SS. Almost all are from Q over the years. 

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Best Place to Sell?

[ Edited ]

Are any of them "designer" signed?  If so, mention that in your ad.  I'd recommend EBay, Etsy.  If you go that route have numerous good pictures from all angles.  With rings give the size ( I think those would be toughest to sell)  If you work, ask around to see if anyone is interested.  The lowest price you are comfortable with, the more likely you are to sell.  You definitely aren't going to make more than you paid ( unless you bought 20-25 years ago). I would never agree to meet in person anywhere ( unless you know the seller ).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have used USA Gold several times to sell gold and silver jewelry and am very satisfied with them.  Very easy process and I felt I got a good price.

Honored Contributor

You might do better with less hassle to sell the gold for scrap by the ounce.  Get estimates.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I sold a lot of gold jewelry to USA gold buyers last summer, almost all QVC. I made $8000. Yes, they melt it down, but......$8000! You just ship it off to them in a free fedex envelope and 2 or 3 days later, money in the bank. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Odds are you will get more selling the gold for scrap.  I've also used US Goldbuyers, they have always paid more per ounce than any local pawn shop, jeweler's store, etc. for everyone who has ever compared offers and reported on this forum.

If you try to sell each piece individually on that well-known auction site, you will end up spending hours packaging up and shipping each piece, and then, if the buyer is less than honest they can demand their money back and keep your item, and the auction site will support them, it is much more buyer than seller friendly.  If you count your time as worth anything, not to mention the annoyance and hassle, and the risk of going to the post office to ship things, you might not make as much as you hope.

The one caveat to that is if you have any heirloom pieces that might sell as "estate" jewelry.  In that case I'd see if your favorite jeweler sells estate pieces and find out what percentage they take of the sale in order to decide if it's worth it to you. 

And it goes without saying that you should not sell any family pieces, or a gift given to you by someone who has passed, it's likely you will regret that.  (Yes, I speak from experience.)

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Thinking of paring down my jewelry collection.  Hoping folks will be willing to share their experiences as to where is the best place to sell?

Have rings, necklaces, earrings, bracelets.  14K with stones, 14K without stones.  Only have a few SS. Almost all are from Q over the years. 

Thanks!

reselling yourself is a ton of work which you should know before going in, that said it can be worth it.  

if I were you I would start by researching what similar pieces are selling for on the various sites, then local gold buyers, and the US Gold buyers 

then make your decision

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You might do better with less hassle to sell the gold for scrap by the ounce.  Get estimates.

@Kachina624   ITA. Most of the jewelry I've sold, they didn't want the pieces, just the metals. I sold the stones separately or kept them to reset.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli wrote:

Thanks!

@Kalli   If you have designer pieces, antiques or some really expensive ones, you can check CIRCA. They send a prepaid envelope and will give you an estimate before taking it on consignment.

Honored Contributor

Please check the prices of gold or silver the day you go to sell. Be informed.