Esteemed Contributor

Bennie Ration and Alex Sanchez pieces

IMG_20150829_163741.jpgb44409b4-3dd3-4d87-bcb0-ee1c9358865e_d9e8b231-6897-3e18-9719-1922ad7b9c36_1440866223000_IMG_20150829_163703_kindlephoto-56652162.jpgHere are 2 of my favorites.  The first is by Alex Sanchez and the second is Bennie Ration.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bennie Ration and Alex Sanchez pieces

Hi Patbz, love both of your kachinas but favor the Sanchez.

I too have a collection of kachina pendants.  Wish I could afford to collect the real thing, museum quality of course.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Hi @patbz - Wow, thanks for sharing!  I'm in agreement with Kachina... both are uniquely beautiful pieces, but I'm especially fond of the Sanchez one.  I just love the color and matrix of that turq (and, come on, it's wearing a tiny naja necklace!).  Heart  But the Ration one has a little pot, which is equally adorable. 

I wish we could get others to join in and share their favorite turq pieces as well!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AliJoi5. Hi Ali,  I think it was during one of your absences from the board some time ago, we got a thread going where we had dozens and dozens of people's photos posted.  I thought of you at the time and wished you could join us.  I wish the mods could reserect that thread.  It's been less than a year ago.  A lot of work went into it.

I think patbz's Sanchez kachina is a Hopi maiden.  They always have their hair done in a bun over each ear.  I have a small sculpture of one.  They're both very nice pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

Since I figured out how to post once I get home from Phoenix today I may post a few others.  Maybe we can start another exchange of jewelry photos?

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  Man, I always miss the good stuff!  I noticed some of the long-running older threads made it through the transition.  Do you recall the name of the thread?  Maybe it wouldn't hurt if I wrote the Q's technical support team and asked?  I was thinking about writing them anyway, as a long shot, just to see if they could list my correct post count and date of registration.  I hate looking like a newbie!  lol  I noticed some people kept their correct count and some didn't.

I must admit, I'm definitely a neophyte when it comes to kachinas and the like.  I'm fairly well-versed in the meaning behind petroglyphs, etc., only because I research them any time I get a piece that has one I do not recognize.  But thank you for explaining the Sanchez kachina.  I find all of this symbolism fascinating!

@patbz  Yes, please do post more!  Maybe you could start a new thread that would be welcoming to everyone.  You could include these two pieces again, along with your other pieces.  It would be nice if others jumped in and joined us, but if not, we could still have a little party of our own.  Robot Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Maybe the thread could say something like... post pix of your favorite Native American jewelry/art (or simply "artisan pieces" to make it more inclusive).  Or even just... favorite turq pieces.  Or maybe something even more general.  I just want to see lots-o-goodies!  Kachina is far more adept at this than I.  Which is why I never do it!  So I'll leave it to you guys.  Man Embarassed

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I finally finished  what turned out to be a 5 hr one way trip from Phoenix.  I'll start a show your jewelry thread tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

@AliJoi5  Ali, I don't think they'll restore your post count as others have asked.  It's a sore point with many, including me.  I had just under 20,000 and my registration date was the original beginning for the forums.

I don't recall the name of the thread but it was long and had tons of pictures of SW jewelry.  I'm going to guess first part of the year.

Honored Contributor

Here is my Alex Sanchez kachina.  I don't have pics of my other pieces.  I think he uses a lot of Royston turquoise.

image.jpg