Valued Contributor

Re: Barbara Bixby Horoscope Cuff

I own her original skull ring and love it.

Her pieces are very unique and obviously not suited for everyone but for me, Barbara Bixby's jewelry is extremely well made, using the finest of metals and stones.  She is a very talented artist and hand draws each design.  She is old school when it comes to designing, where so many designers, be them jewelry or fashion, resort to the aid of a computer.

Actually, occult mean "hidden or secret", and there's nothing sinister in that.  Her pieces are inspired by ancient cultures and spirituality that honor nature and her creations.  She is accurate when describing the symbolism behind them, as in the skull.  (housing the mind that equates with wisdom and the higher self)  Either you like skulls or you don't.  It doesn't take away from how well she executes each piece utilizing precious metals and stones.

My background is in art and design and, in my opinion, Barbara Bixby's jewelry prices reflect the intensive labor and materials used, as well as for her art. 

I'm happy QVC brings a wide range of products that all of us can enjoy.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Esteemed Contributor

Some of her jewelry is pretty but, her  prices have gotten too high for what you get & I don’t care for the skulls & bones ... much to occult & morbid 😳😳

Valued Contributor

@January121 wrote:

Some of her jewelry is pretty but, her  prices have gotten too high for what you get & I don’t care for the skulls & bones ... much to occult & morbid 😳😳

Where does Barbara Bixby use bones?  I've never seen any bones in her jewelry.

I guess I just don't understand how one or two pieces that are beautiful crystal and stone skulls, in her entire line of nature pieces, illustrate a morbid theme. 

Respected Contributor

Lyttlewyng, there is a decided and sometimes vicious prejudice against Barbara's designs and jewelry on the Q jewelry forum, and it has been this way for years.  If I were to say something disparaging the JAI line, I would be crucified but people feel free to disrespect Barbara every time she is on air.  Most fans of her work don't even bother to post here any more, we use other forums to discuss her work, share photos, etc.  I don't understand the nasty remarks every time Barbara is on, I guess nobody follows that old cliche of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" any more.  I refrain from trashing a few jewelry lines here that I don't like, and nobody forces me to buy them, anyway, but I guess I am not in the majority in this regard.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Lyttlewyng, there is a decided and sometimes vicious prejudice against Barbara's designs and jewelry on the Q jewelry forum, and it has been this way for years.  If I were to say something disparaging the JAI line, I would be crucified but people feel free to disrespect Barbara every time she is on air.  Most fans of her work don't even bother to post here any more, we use other forums to discuss her work, share photos, etc.  I don't understand the nasty remarks every time Barbara is on, I guess nobody follows that old cliche of "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" any more.  I refrain from trashing a few jewelry lines here that I don't like, and nobody forces me to buy them, anyway, but I guess I am not in the majority in this regard.

Yes, @CamilleP , I've become aware of the disrespect for anything that is misunderstood, especially if it's in regard to an alternative spiritual viewpoint, as inspired in Barbara Bixby's designs.

My comments weren't meant as a challenge, only to inform. However, I find it fascinating how one misconception can spiral into a collective mistaken belief.  But this is nothing new.

Honored Contributor

I don't own of her stuff but admired her artistry greatly. Not a skull fan but if I were, those are some pretty skulls. Love her grasshopper anything (cute in real life too). Haven't worn much jewelry lately.

Every key, ring, necklace is so different and unusual. 

Anyone can throw in a center stone and surround it with CZ and call it a day.

Super Contributor

I agree with you as well. As a matter of fact, I am sorry I decided to read these comments because it is the same dribble posted by the same people. I too prefer to comment on BB's amazing jewelry on other forums not hosted by QVC. 

And heaven forbid you post something nasty on the Ripka forum.....

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

As she said yesterday, the skull houses the mind, which is the soul.

@Sweetbay magnolia, Not to create a big fuss here, but there are some who believe the mind is not one’s soul.  Rather, the soul is a spirit that survives the life of the body.  

That said, I was more impressed with her designs a few years ago than I am now.  But to each, their own.

Respected Contributor

MUSINGS:  All art is subject to interpretation by the viewer. Barbara Bixby is certainly skilled and creative, and produces a high quality and memorable product. Artists are rarely compensated sufficiently for the imagination and time that goes into their work. 

By the way, the skull motif has been part of mankind's art repertoire for millenia.

Finally, I agree that we should speak kindly and positively whenever possible!

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

MUSINGS:  All art is subject to interpretation by the viewer. Barbara Bixby is certainly skilled and creative, and produces a high quality and memorable product. Artists are rarely compensated sufficiently for the imagination and time that goes into their work. 

By the way, the skull motif has been part of mankind's art repertoire for millenia.

Finally, I agree that we should speak kindly and positively whenever possible!

@FancyPhillyshopper   “Rarely compensated sufficiently”...ain’t that the truth! That’s why I stopped doing any enamel work...even sold my kiln. A customer would never pay enough to equal the length of time to complete a piece.