Honored Contributor

Re: BULKY STATEMENT NECKLACES IN OR OUT?

They're not my thing because I don't like heavy, clunky necklaces hanging around my neck.  However, they look good on others.

If I liked them I wouldn't care if they were in or out; I'd just wear them.

Valued Contributor

Darn, another fashion trend I missed 😊

Honored Contributor

I don't think Iris Apfel's jewelry would look good on me but I admire women who can pull it off.  (I also enjoy watching Iris on TV.  Smiley Happy)

Trusted Contributor

They look fabulous on my daughter-in-law!  I just never thought that they were for me. 

Respected Contributor

I wear bold pieces of jewelry in the form of necklaces, bracelets and some rings but not earrings.  I wear what I like and frankly, small demur pieces of jewelry kind of get lost on my.  I am 5'9" tall and curvy so I wear what I like and what makes me happy.  I don't own any of the large "statement" necklaces  but I do love bold pendants, chains, bracelets, etc.

Honored Contributor

I've never cared for them.   They look great if you are on TV, same with most of the makeup QVC pushes but I'm never on TV.

@Shanus wrote:

I have a lot of statement necklaces...many were expensive from J Crew. I'm seeing more people wearing longer, delicate chains or shorter chains w/ a charm or layering several finer chains. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

I've always been drawn to bold jewelry.  The short bold statement necklaces were never my style-- I tend to wear long necklaces, or single bold pendants, and chunky bracelets.  But the statement pieces you chose were obviously something you were drawn to, so I'd wear them with gusto whenever I felt like it.  You can always alternate with your other more delicate pieces at other times.

It's fun to be able to express different "moods" in jewelry, apart from trends...

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I have a lot of statement necklaces...many were expensive from J Crew. I'm seeing more people wearing longer, delicate chains or shorter chains w/ a charm or layering several finer chains. What do you think?

@Shanus

NOT being a smart aleck here, but just who is the "they" that you believe decides what's in or out?

Based on what I've seen on other women, larger statement necklaces look best with heavy, cooler weather clothing and more delicate pieces look better with lighter and hot weather clothing.  JMO  

Personally, I never wear necklaces because of compressed disks in my neck.   As a result, I'm a bolder earring gal.

Super Contributor

Trends never mattered to me - I never wanted to look like everyone else - and as I got older I really could care less - I always had my own, wonderful style - never needed "society" to tell me what to wear - thats for weak women

Honored Contributor

I just wear what I like too. A few months back I found a Vera Wang statement necklace on the Kohls site-earth tone stones and flowers. I just love it, I am wearing it with a brown turtleneck.

I also have the Zara crystal necklace that Kate Middleton has worn. It is crazy sparkly and dressy, I don't ever have any fancy occasion to wear it. But I have worn it for holidays or just to church. It just lifts my spirits a bit to wear it. It was very inexpensive, I think less than $40.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"