Respected Contributor

BLUE OR BLUE GREEN MONTANA SAPPHIRE?

I'm looking for a Montana sapphire ring.  Some that I've seen are blue-green and some are light blue.  Which color is the most desirable in a Montana sapphire?

Honored Contributor

Re: BLUE OR BLUE GREEN MONTANA SAPPHIRE?

@fortune Untreated Montana sapphire, 2.06 ct, $2000, Etsy8FDA5AA2-6CE0-4E93-A21B-7653BBF1C7E6.jpeg5BF84D26-14AA-46BF-A788-0B7473B2FF50.jpeg

Super Contributor

Both blue-green and light blue are lovely options. Light blue is more suited to a summery look IMO and blue-green is a preferred or a more desirable variety. You can score some great jewelry from JTV or ShopLC. I also came across some beautiful teal Montana sapphire on Brilliant Earth.

Trusted Contributor

@fortune wrote:

I'm looking for a Montana sapphire ring.  Some that I've seen are blue-green and some are light blue.  Which color is the most desirable in a Montana sapphire?

Research “Yogo” Sapphire. They are much more expensive and rare of all sapphires, but are the most desirable and beautiful. I’m from Montana and the Yogo is the best.

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune  Have a great place to check out all kinds at your leisure. Look at Era Gem on-line. They have a great selection, style and prices. Enjoy! This is where I am currently selling pieces no longer worn. They are reputable and very knowledgeable experts in the gemstone world. Highly qualified to answer all your questions. Would probably negiotate. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fortune.  Better get online and do some research before making a purchase.  You have a world of information at your fingertips.  I wonder if the Montana version is  like the corundum of imported sapphires?

The certainly are some beautiful rings pictured on the website @BirkiLady posted.  I salivated all over my tablet looking at them.  Those sapphire engagement rings are so much more appealing to me than a diamond.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Montana sapphire comes in different shades of blue. I would just get the color that strikes your fancy. Who cares if one color is more desirable than others, just as long as you like it and that's all that should really matter.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  Delighted you enjoyed that site. Isn't it fun? My husband was a colored-gemstone fan. I ended up taking the GIA colored gemstone classes so we knew what to purchase. His frequent trips to Thailand brought back many amazing treasures which our local jewelers would set and appraise . . . and drool over!

My DIL has zero interest in them, so I'm slowly beginning to sell them. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."  LOL  They are just things in the grand scheme of my life now. Retirement doesn't have a place for them in Lincoln. Seattle's market is much larger and more profitable.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

Wow!  Montana sapphires are beautiful all right, but probably a little pricey for my pocketbook.  DH and I used to have a second home in Billings, and I found that those sapphires were no less expensive there.  Thanks for the recommendations, ladies--I'll be sure to check them out.  Maybe one of these days I'll stumble across a lovely one that I can afford.  

Meanwhile, @fortune enjoy shopping for that beautiful stone.