Honored Contributor

Re: BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN.....

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Trinity11  Well I'll say it yet again, I find plain diamonds boring.

Last time I checked, I was still entitled to give MY opinion, just as you've given your's.

The only ones I find somewhat less boring...like I said,are those that add a little decoration to other stones, such as emeralds, rubies, tanzanite, chrome diopside and others.

Soooo....why don't we just agree to disagree.

I would think whether I care about diamonds or not .....would not bother you in the least...unless you are in the diamond trade!  Are you?

I kinda feel like we are playing..."What's my line?"

Would the person who is representing the diamond trade please stand up!

😳LOL!!!!! That's a first here. You got me!!!!!!!Yes, I am Mrs. DeBeers. You caught me @Annabellethecat66 . I surround myself with GIA diamonds all day long. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Drythe   I'm not sure what you mean controlled prices. I can purchase an almost perfect diamond (and have) wholesale in NYC. The ones I've purchased are 1/4 the cost of the ones in jewelry stores. 

Prices are controlled by the stores where you purchase them. A diamond ring from Tiffany's is much more expensive than the same 4 Cs at any other retail jewelry store. 

Maybe she meant boring as in colorless. The faceting and clarity of the stone and the rainbow it throws in the sunlight is fascinating to me. To each her own. 

@Shanus 

DeBeers controls the number and quality of stones they choose to release over a given time period.  Thus, they set the minimum price.  A store may surely add on to that price.  And of course wholesale adds less than a store, a Brand Name such as Tiffany brings in more money.  

But, I’m speaking of the baseline cost.  If DeBeers did not limit how many diamonds they release, the market would be flooded, and the diamond price would tumble.

Fascinating Business!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Trinity,

I am in your camp!

Overall diamonds are not rare, but high quality stones are scarce and expensive.

Diamonds are my absolutely favorite gem and the most beautiful of all, because they feature all the colors of the rainbow!

In fact, diamonds are my birthstone, and they are the main reason I keep or return a piece of jewelry.  QVC has traditionally used very low quality diamonds, and sometimes when they surround a gemstone, they detract rather than enhance.

Diamonds are also the hardest gemstone and I never have to worry about scratching them (like tanzanite, opal, etc.) or having the colors fade (kunzite, topaz, etc.).

There are so many stunning diamond cuts available that QVC rarely features. And we all know, the bigger the carat weight the better in terms of overall sparkle.  

Personally I like stones above G color and SI clarity, with an excellent cut. Those stones are brilliant and capture and control light.  Maybe three times in QVC history have I ever seen close to that level of quality... which is why I spend money on diamonds at other places instead of QVC.

Be careful @FancyPhillyshopper . You will be accused of being a diamond dealer!😁

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 

😳LOL!!!!! That's a first here. You got me!!!!!!!Yes, I am Mrs. DeBeers. You caught me @Annabellethecat66 . I surround myself with GIA diamonds all day long. 😁😁😁😁😁😁

Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the diamonds from your vault? 🤣

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Trinity11 

Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures of the diamonds from your vault? 🤣

Smiley WinkWhat so someone can see my vast collection and come and rob me?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@songbird wrote:

I've always, always had expensive taste in jewelry.  I don't know why.  My eyes are always drawn to it.  I don't own a piece of costume jewelry.  Have never own freshwater pearls, All of my pearls are from ocean farms and only round.  Don't own any semi precious gems.  I only wear Corundum. (Sapphires & Rubies/) & on occasion emeralds  They all have to have diamonds  with them & never gems by itself. I do own some exotics like Pariaba. & some Tourmaline. I don't buy gems from QVC. It has to be from Gem Shopping or jewelry stores.  Ultrafine silver instead of Sterling silver.  I only  recently, started to purchase 14K. But the 14K still has to be yellow.  I still dislike 14K white & rose gold. The only gold I own was 18K. & 21K & 24K.   My white metal is platinum.  I refuse to buy anything that tarnishes .As a result my jewelry collection is not big by  comparison to other women. I just want to be able to pick up & wear a piece of jewelry without haveing to clean it!

@songbird   I have a lot of expensive jewelry, but do enjoy some costume jewelry and Diamonique set in platinum clad when traveling. I won't wear my expensive earrings with masks. I've put them away AGAIN.  Gold and platinum should be used to set gems. Silver is not strong enough and tarnishes...even the rhodium plating will eventually wear off. 

I'm not a fan of colored stones...I do wear turquoise, but just not into colored faceted stones. I do have a ruby ring, my birthstone I received as a gift, but it's put away...rarely worn.

Everyone's tastes are different.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  i agree.  I can't warm to silver.  It's become boring to look at.  You see too much of it.  Have always hated Sterling.  Thank god for Ultrafine!  I love that.  It always stays white and I have never had to polish. Looks nothing like Sterling. I treat it like my gold.  I wear and put it away. I'm also with you on colored stones.  I actually hate them.  But I love specific stone.  Corundum.  It just so happens they are precious.  I buy my corundum through Gem Shopping.  No silver there.  Just gold & platinum.  And nothing less then 14K. Price wise, obviously more then QVC.  But surprisingly, QVC will offer a Sapphire with less then 1/5 of diamonds.  Gem Shopping will offer the same cheaper!  Plus the color of the Sapphire is 100% better.  QVC is not known for their Sapphires!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 oh boy, I remember the endless druzy shows too! 

Esteemed Contributor

It's been really fun reading this thread. Over the years, I've really enjoyed Q's jewelry shows. I think that's why I'm so disappointed with what they offer now. It's also why I don't buy much jewelry any more.

Of course once the price of gold went through the roof, I stopped buying it. Why buy something that I need to keep in a safe - which is where most of my gold jewelry is now! 

Some of my favorite pieces are silver. I have a long silver necklace (probably from silver style) that has large circular links and interspersed are gemstones in orange and yellow. It wasn't very expensive and I don't know for sure what the stones are but I know that I love it and wear it often. One of the other pieces I have that is a favorite is a bracelet from Michael Dawkins line -- it's rhodochrosite. It's 3 rows of it with a massive silver clasp on it. I've looked at other rhodochrosite jewelry on Q & other shopping channels and have never found it as pretty as that particular bracelet.

I do have a passion for pins and collected the ones that the Joan Rivers line did as well as Heidi Daus. Especially in the winter, I wear them on my jackets and coats and even on my hats (yep I wear hats, too). It's been a running joke among my family and friends. Sadly no one will want my hat collection either. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lol, I remember druzy shows. I would say they were somewhat of a nightmare. I remember how hosts claimed it was so popular no one wanted to buy it anyway. Black spinel was interesting, it is still is. It is hard to make good jewelry without design involved. I was not Judith Ripka fan. I only kept one of her piece. Her earrings had funny fit, does not matter if it is QVC line or high end line. 

The good thing I was able to sell her pieces when I got tired of them.

I miss Barbara Bixby shows.