Honored Contributor

BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN.....

[ Edited ]

.....jewelry vendors and jewelry designers. What I saw (off and on) today looked like mass produced, purchased settings/gems. 

The good designers have all left the Q. Not sure who they're trying to appealing to...the younger generations?

Most of us have enough or have sold what we're no longer wearing. At least, that's what I read here.  

Respected Contributor

Re: BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN.....

QVC features what sells.

With the price of gold sky-high and good employees hard to find and costing more, it is no wonder so many large family-owned jewelry companies took the money and sold out:  Eternagold, Honora, Judith Ripka, etc.

They are enjoying retirement with money in their pockets.

JAI appears to be a high quality designed product, but uses mainly silver.

Any more I prefer to buy one luxury item rather than a lot of bargain items.

I can also find better sales in other places.

QVC used to have more high end pieces, but probably now they are struggling to sell them at a good profit, so they just carry a lot fewer.

Honored Contributor

That's like me.  I  just wear my junk jewelry most of the time.

When my husband died, I gave my girls a lot of the good jewelry he'd bought me.  He would take the girls out with him to help him pick it out.

It means a lot to them that they remember when they bought it with him.

I still have some of it and wear it.  Mostly I just go to the Drs and out to lunch 3 or 4 times a week with my friend.

I dress as if I was going to work.  I like everything to match.

I remember when the Q and HSN has some well known jewelry designers.

I have some of Victoria Wieck's jewelry, Richard Polermo (I think that's his name).  I can't remember all of the other designers, but they were really pretty pieces.

I actually think the fact that the stones are sitting in gold that makes the pieces so expensive.  The cost of gold is crazy expensive.

I've said on here before that my friend I eat lunch with wears jewelry where the stones are very, very small but she pays crazy amounts for it....I think because it is sitting in gold.

I'm the one that gets compliments on my jewelry.  The stones are large but set in mystery metal.

A lot of my jewelry is real.  That's why I think it's the goldd that makes it expensive.

It's funny because my late husband thought jewelry didn't make sense.  Yet, because I had all girls, I'd send them with him and he'd come home with some beautiful bracelets, rings and earrings.

I think the OP is right when she says most of us already has pretty much what we want.  

We are at a time in our lives when we don't go out a lot to justify spending money on pieces of jewelry.

My daughters and granddaughters all have their own taste.  I sometimes let them come and pick out some pieces of jewelry they like.

It's funny, because they almost always pick out the expensive pieces.

But that's OK because I know they are getting what they like and will probably keep for the rest of their lives.

Nothing on the Q is very exciting.  At least not to me.  I think the OP is right in that it does look like it was all mass produced.

I've never cared for diamonds.  They are boring to me.

There are people who don't think of diamonds as a precious gemstone.  I agree with them.

There are more diamonds in the world than anything.

Have you guys ever read how diamonds are kept in huge vaults to keep up their value?

I was going to post a website where it explains where diamonds loose as much as 50% minutes after they are bought, but since it probably/maybe sells gemstones, I don't want it deleted.

Honored Contributor

QVC schedules their jewelry shows months in advance, but it doesn't seem like much preparation goes into actually putting together what will be offered.   

Of course, QVC offers what will sell best, and I doubt many would consider this a good resource for buying "fine jewelry".   So, most of what they sell is more or less what's called costume jewelry.  

Historically, they also are either fixating on certain stones, or just over-commit to stock and have trouble selling it out.    Personally, I can still remember the endless shows of Druzy, or Bronzo or Black Spinel or Sleeping Beauty Turquoise or  ...  you get the idea.   There are several more.

I definitely like to look, but I no longer buy all that often.  Maybe I already have all the jewelry I need.  Could that be possible?  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For the most part, Gem Day has been less about designers and more about the gems. For years, they worked with an in house team of designers and independent contractors. Some of my finest pieces come from "no name designers."

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

When my husband died, I gave my girls a lot of the good jewelry he'd bought me.  He would take the girls out with him to help him pick it out.

I still have some of it and wear it.  Mostly I just go to the Drs and out to lunch 3 or 4 times a week with my friend.

I have some of Victoria Wieck's jewelry, Richard Polermo (I think that's his name).  I can't remember all of the other designers, but they were really pretty pieces.

I actually think the fact that the stones are sitting in gold that makes the pieces so expensive.  The cost of gold is crazy expensive.

I've said on here before that my friend I eat lunch with wears jewelry where the stones are very, very small but she pays crazy amounts for it....I think because it is sitting in gold.

I'm the one that gets compliments on my jewelry.  The stones are large but set in mystery metal.

A lot of my jewelry is real.  That's why I think it's the goldd that makes it expensive.

It's funny because my late husband thought jewelry didn't make sense.  Yet, because I had all girls, I'd send them with him and he'd come home with some beautiful bracelets, rings and earrings.

I think the OP is right when she says most of us already has pretty much what we want.  

We are at a time in our lives when we don't go out a lot to justify spending money on pieces of jewelry.

My daughters and granddaughters all have their own taste.  I sometimes let them come and pick out some pieces of jewelry they like.

But that's OK because I know they are getting what they like and will probably keep for the rest of their lives.

Nothing on the Q is very exciting.  At least not to me.  I think the OP is right in that it does look like it was all mass produced.

There are people who don't think of diamonds as a precious gemstone.  I agree with them.

Have you guys ever read how diamonds are kept in huge vaults to keep up their value?

I was going to post a website where it explains where diamonds loose as much as 50% minutes after they are bought, but since it probably/maybe sells gemstones, I don't want it deleted.

@Annabellethecat66   Diamonds boring? Why can't I post a "scratch my head" emoji?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Yep!  They are boring.  There are so many of them kept in vaults to raise up the price of them.

I think they're OK when they surround something with color.  Forinstance I have a ring that's round and it has a design of rubies in the center and around it are small diamonds.  Every person that sees it thinks it's amazing.

But it's not the diamonds that draws their eye to my finger, it's the pinkish/rubies.

I have several rings like that.  There are a few diamonds around or through the ring, but I guarantee you it's the color of the stone that draws people's eyes to the ring or necklace, etc.

I have a two row diamond bracelet with 8 diamonds in each row.  The gold part of the bracelet is woven.  The jewler made it himself.  It was $2,000 back in 1986 I got it for my birthday.  

My oldest daughter has it.  She seldom wears it.  She does wear the diamond ring my husband gave me because she was with him to pick it out.

I'll say it again.  I find plain diamonds boring.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Yep!  They are boring.  There are so many of them kept in vaults to raise up the price of them.

I think they're OK when they surround something with color.  Forinstance I have a ring that's round and it has a design of rubies in the center and around it are small diamonds.  Every person that sees it thinks it's amazing.

But it's not the diamonds that draws their eye to my finger, it's the pinkish/rubies.

I have several rings like that.  There are a few diamonds around or through the ring, but I guarantee you it's the color of the stone that draws people's eyes to the ring or necklace, etc.

I have a two row diamond bracelet with 8 diamonds in each row.  The gold part of the bracelet is woven.  The jewler made it himself.  It was $2,000 back in 1986 I got it for my birthday.  

My oldest daughter has it.  She seldom wears it.  She does wear the diamond ring my husband gave me because she was with him to pick it out.

I'll say it again.  I find plain diamonds boring.  

@Annabellethecat66 

Hmm.   That's interesting.   Well, if you have any old boring diamonds laying around, can I have them?  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Annabellethecat66   Diamonds boring? Why can't I post a "scratch my head" emoji?

@Shanus 

Not speaking for @Annabellethecat66 , but perhaps she is referring 

to the fact that that diamonds are not rare.  

My favorite gem is Tsavorite. As you no doubt know, for every one ton of Tsavorite, tons of Diamonds are mined.  

Plus, without DeBeers the diamond price would be vastly different, control of price, and distribution is discussed at the DeBeers Museum in Amsterdam.  

WHAT an eye popping collection of diamonds they have!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I don't have a lot of expensive jewelry.  Like I said, I gave a lot of it to my girls because it meant something to them.

So when he bought me that $2,000 bracelet it was because across the street from the jewelry store my friends and family were waiting for us to arrive for my birthday dinner.  We'd been going into jewelry stores all day long looking for a bracelet like I wanted.

I always wanted a bracelet with 3 rows.  Red (garnet..because they are dark red), white (because it had to be diamonds and I didn't know much about jewelry then) and blue (had to be blue London topaz) because it's dark blue.

Saw some beautiful jewelry but not what I wanted.  Time was ticking and I had to get it on my birthday (those were the rules) so when he brought out that bracelet I said OK so I'd have something.

That was another wonderful birthday.  He hosted my friends and family at a restaurant for dinner (it was Steak and Ale), then my best friend took my 3 girls back to spend the night and he and I went to the Willard to spend the night.

It was beautiful.  I opened the door and there was a huge flower arrangement on a round table.

My birthday is in December.  At the top of the Willard Hotel the windows are round.  We looked out and just like in a movie there was someone ice skating and some guy playing a saxophones.  

We couldn't hear the saxophone but her skating was pretty.

He was amazing that way.  Every year he'd take my birthday off.  For Valentines day he'd bring me long-steamed roses and often pierced earrings.

Once he gave me the box with long sterned roses.  I opened the box and put the roses in a vase and threw away the box.

He said, "How'd you like the earrings"?  I said, "I didn't see any earrings".  He said, "the box was inside the flower box."

He went over to the trash and picked out the little box.  They were pretty.

Another time the bracelet was inside of a perfume box.  I found the box in the bottom of a closet and threw it away.  Taking out the trash, he happened to see the perfume box.

He had a fit. I said, "Why would you put the bracelet into an old perfume box"?

We didn't have a safe and he figured if we got robbed no one would find it there.  Duh?

I always go back to 'why do so many of the good men die young (he was only 58 and in perfect health), but the terrible losers seem to live forever?'

It's been 17 years and I still find it hard to believe...

Whoops!  I should have put this on the one that says widows.  

Anyway, what you should take from all my bla bla is that I didn't have a lot of real expensive jewelry, but even then I didn't care a lot for diamonds.

I think a lot of women here have some beautiful jewelry.  Way more jewelry and prettier than I have.