Honored Contributor

Mom's 89th birthday is Sunday. She requested some gemstone bracelets. Since she can no longer operate any lobster claw or other closures, I purchased heavy jeweler's elastic cord and will make her several colored gemstone bracelets that she can just slide on herself.

It's difficult watching her have these issues and although I know to expect to expect all aspects of aging, it makes me sad. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: BEADED BRACELETS FOR A GIFT

@Shanus. Because you made the bracelets she will love your gift even more.   I have arthritis in my fingers thus have similar problems.  I purchased bracelet helpers.  They hold one end of the bracelet so you can control the other end.  When my DIL saw mine she asked for one.  She has healthy hands but said this little tool takes the fight out putting on a bracelet.  I got mine from HSN.   They are also sold on Amazon.

I have purchased magnet closures made to add to my bracelets and necklaces.  The craft stores also sell larger size closures you can add if they would work on pieces she already has.  I have necklace extenders so I can carefully slide them over my head.  If she loves her jewerly I am sure she has collected many pieces she has missed wearing.

Honored Contributor

She will love them @Shanus. A gift from the heart because you made them yourself.... Happy Birthday to your Mom!!

Honored Contributor

You are blessed to still have her!

Is a magnetic clasp out of the question?

The elastic cord is certainly an excellent choice.

She's fortunate that you can do that for her.

She seems to be my kind of gal!   Still asking for jewelry for her birthday!

@Shanus

Honored Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

@Shanus. Because you made the bracelets she will love your gift even more.   I have arthritis in my fingers thus have similar problems.  I purchased bracelet helpers.  They hold one end of the bracelet so you can control the other end.  When my DIL saw mine she asked for one.  She has healthy hands but said this little tool takes the fight out putting on a bracelet.  I got mine from HSN.   They are also sold on Amazon.

I have purchased magnet closures made to add to my bracelets and necklaces.  The craft stores also sell larger size closures you can add if they would work on pieces she already has.  I have necklace extenders so I can carefully slide them over my head.  If she loves her jewerly I am sure she has collected many pieces she has missed wearing.

Most of her "real" jewelry is in safe deposit box or I keep it here. She's in retirement community and maids, security people, everyone has keys to apartments and there are no alarm systems. They need to be able to have access to apartments in an emergency.

She only wears her fashion jewelry now & if she has an occasion to wear a piece of good stuff, I bring it to her & pick it up the next day, but those times are quite rare. 

I have added & extended links & magnets to her necklaces. Even w/ a bracelet buddy, she can't manage...dexterity an issue. 

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Shanus

Oh @software. You don't know the 1/2 of it. As soon as I get there, the first thing she wants to do is a trip to Chico's and the Lancôme counter. I try not to chuckle when she purchases their firming and lifting cream. She's a hoot!!

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@software wrote:

@Shanus

Oh @software. You don't know the 1/2 of it. As soon as I get there, the first thing she wants to do is a trip to Chico's and the Lancôme counter. I try not to chuckle when she purchases their firming and lifting cream. She's a hoot!!

I want to be her when I grow up!

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus,

What a clever idea, my mother also has reumatoid arthritis and loves tubogas bracelets.

Thanks to you I now have her birthday present🌻I am sure that she will love them.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Mom's 89th birthday is Sunday. She requested some gemstone bracelets. Since she can no longer operate any lobster claw or other closures, I purchased heavy jeweler's elastic cord and will make her several colored gemstone bracelets that she can just slide on herself.

It's difficult watching her have these issues and although I know to expect to expect all aspects of aging, it makes me sad. 

@Shanus

???    So what is the question ?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Shanus

???    So what is the question ?

No one asked you a question @Tinkrbl44. What's up with you?