Valued Contributor

How do you clean your BB jewelry? I only own a few pieces but find they tarnish quickly even though kept in silver keeper jewelry box. The pieces are so intricate I find it difficult to get in the tiny nooks & crannies with polishing cloth. Any suggestions ?

Respected Contributor

I use a jeweler's cleaning cloth.  One side of the cloth to clean and the other side to polish (I bought mine from a jewery store, but you may find one on-line).  Then I keep my cleaned jewelry in an anti-tarnish jewelry box (I have bought my Prestige jewelry boxes from HSN).  QVC may also have some anti-tarnish boxes.  I bought one from QVC several years ago.

Honored Contributor

I own several of her pieces of jewelry.  Yesterday I bought the new J-319595 - the ring.  I'd owned all but the clear one (which was new).

Now I own all of those....I think they are beautiful.  I collect a lot of jewelry (some very expensive and some not).  But I often wear those rings.

I usually wear at least a ring on two finger on each hand, bracelets, always earrings...necklace. 

I think I look like Mr. T (remember him)....Ha!  I don't apologize...I'm 70 years old this year, I do whatever I want.  I decided 15 years ago when my husband whom I loved more than life died, I'd do whatever I want and apologize to no one.

That includes wearing lots of Barbara Bixby.  Love her stuff!

Regular Contributor

I also use a polishing cloth on my large Bixby Collection.  Do not use a liquid silver dip, it will ruin the oxidation.  If something is really tarnished I would recommend Haggertys Silver Foam cleaner.  It is a red paste that comes in a jar, you rub it on and it foams up, then you rinse it off.  It's very mild, but does a great job.  I use Colleen Lopez's Anti-tarnish Jewelry Boxes and  Lori Grenier's Silver Safekeepers also.  I generally have very little tarnishing, but sometimes a hazy film will start to form and the polishing cloth takes care of that.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I own several of her pieces of jewelry.  Yesterday I bought the new J-319595 - the ring.  I'd owned all but the clear one (which was new).

Now I own all of those....I think they are beautiful.  I collect a lot of jewelry (some very expensive and some not).  But I often wear those rings.

I usually wear at least a ring on two finger on each hand, bracelets, always earrings...necklace. 

I think I look like Mr. T (remember him)....Ha!  I don't apologize...I'm 70 years old this year, I do whatever I want.  I decided 15 years ago when my husband whom I loved more than life died, I'd do whatever I want and apologize to no one.

That includes wearing lots of Barbara Bixby.  Love her stuff!

You are tooooo funny Mr T LOL.  I also love Barbara Bixby.  I never get tired of seeing the flower ring.  I have the Iolite and I love it. This ring has always been a good price.  When you think about the about the amount  of silver you get in any of her pieces, the quality of her stones and not to mention the gold flowers the value is amazing.  Continue to rock your jewelry lady and have a wonderful day.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: BARBARA BIXBY JEWELRY

[ Edited ]

@shoptheQ wrote:

How do you clean your BB jewelry? I only own a few pieces but find they tarnish quickly even though kept in silver keeper jewelry box. The pieces are so intricate I find it difficult to get in the tiny nooks & crannies with polishing cloth. Any suggestions ?

I have a ring box from Colleen Lopez on HSN.  I have Barbara Bixby's flower ring and I am finding that it is not tarnishing.  I do not wear it much but when I do it is always tarnish free.  I do know you can use a soft toothbrush to get into the tiny nooks and crannies.  I have used baking soda to shine up some of my jewelry. 

Super Contributor

annabellethe cat,  i love this.

I am 66 and same goes her.

Yes, i remember Mr. T !!!

Valued Contributor

Buy a child tooth brush with soft bristles, and some silver cleaning cloths and dawn dish detergent.

After cleaning the jewelry with the silver cleaning cloth,use the tooth brush to get in the tight space. Put the jewelery in a bowl with warm water and some dawn.Swish around rinse with cold water. Use a Microsoft  cloth to dry. If you don't have a tarnish jewelry box,buy the small snack size zip lock bags and store your jewelry.I have been cleaning my jewelry this way for over 25 years. 

My Bixby heart pendant in which I wear 90% of the time, I clean about twice a month. Silver jewelry worn often does not need that "fine cleanings,"everyday.

Honored Contributor

I've owned some of Barbara's pieces for quite a few years now but have never had it tarnish.  I always keep it in anti-tarnish boxes which are kept tightly closed at all times.  When I do polish some silver I use a Sunshine Cloth, the best cloth for silver.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your helpful tips. I do keep all my jewelry in anti tarnish jewelry chests - guess I need to wear my Bixby pieces more often instead of saving them for special occasions !