Regular Contributor

Can anyone tell me about their recent experience with this jewelry line? I wanted to buy my mom a very special birthday present this year (she just lost my dad) and ordered her a pair of Arte D'Oro (J337037) hoops on easy pay. They are pretty earrings, but I'm disappointed with the delicate, thin irregular shaped wire clasps (one makes an annoying rattling sound) and also by the generic QVC cardboard box they came in, which hardly seems fitting for a pair of earrings costing $822 (with tax and shipping). The shipping charge was a surprise since in years past the shipping for Arte d'Oro was free. When closing the clasp, the hoop flexes so they are somewhat lightweight as well. My own pair Vicenza tri-colored hoops do not flex and have more substantial clasps even though they were only a fraction of the cost. This had led me to assume that Arte d'Oro would be even nicer. Does anyone know if this jewelry has changed in quality and also, is it no longer packaged in the Arte D'Oro green velvet boxes? I like the appearance of the earrings, but feel the price does not reflect the quality expected.

Honored Contributor

Usually I've found that good quality Italian gold earrings have those not-round wires (you know what I mean?) and those are more substantial. I'm surprised these have the thin, round wires and I also notice that the area between the front and back of the hoop is pretty narrow. For most of us that would be fine but if she has particularly, well, thick earlobs they might be too tight for space.

How much do the earrings weigh? I would think they should weigh AT least 3grams per earrings and, since it's 18k, they should actually weigh more than that at that size.

All that said, I purchased some Arte d'Oro jewelry in the past and it was very nice.

Respected Contributor

I can't address the current quality of the line, but for that amount of money, the earrings should be perfect, and substantial. You might do better in a retail store since it sounds like the earrings your received are neither perfect nor substantial.

Respected Contributor
The line is nothing like it was. The gram weights are not substantial so the earrings bend...or at least I have been very disappointed by what I received.
Honored Contributor

Cardboard box? Really, QVC. They used to have the best jewelry assortment and quality in the country. That's not my opinion, its the opinion of the major jewelry store owner in my old city from 10 years ago. Now jewelry is an afterthought.

Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I read each and every one- and really do appreciate your thoughts and opinions very much! I'll continue to look for an alternative gift, one that my mom can be proud to own for a long time to come.

Trusted Contributor

How sad and flimsy clasps are really not going to last. I'm sorry that at this price they are a total disappointment. I agree that the cardboard box is completely a turn off. Any good jewelry store would automatically give you a velvet box too.