Trusted Contributor

Are graduated Byzantine necklaces supposed to lay flat?

I received my Bonanza Silver Ultrafine 18 inch graduated Byzantine necklace Friday. I wore it all day yesterday and it never laid straight on my neck it stayed crossways every time flattened it the necklace just went horizontal again Why is this doing this? Is this particular to the Byzantine style or could it be the fact that the design is graduated? I hate to send it back because I think it is a very good value and it is very pretty.

PS--The bracelet is just right, but it is not graduated. Please give me your opinions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are graduated Byzantine necklaces supposed to lay flat?

I have one that "rolls", too

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I think they are supposed to lay flat. I had a necklace that rolled; that's the reason it's a "had" and not a "have".

If it bothered you yesterday, it will only get worse as you continue to wear it. Send it back!!! Since that's a flaw, contact SC so they will not charge you for the return S&H.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

Yes, it should lay flat. Many necklaces have a right way and a wrong way to wear them, depending upon how the links are manufactured and curved. Lay the necklace on a table and try it in both directions (clasped toward your and clasped away from you). This may help.

Respected Contributor

I have a domed woven necklace that is not graduated. It flips too.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/9/2014 Tique said:

I think they are supposed to lay flat. I had a necklace that rolled; that's the reason it's a "had" and not a "have".

If it bothered you yesterday, it will only get worse as you continue to wear it. Send it back!!! Since that's a flaw, contact SC so they will not charge you for the return S&H.

ITA! If the necklace won't lay flat, it won't look right and it isn't a good value because it is not attractive to wear if you have to keep diddling with it. Send it back and look for another good value that also looks good.

Honored Contributor

I think it should lay flat too. I would probably send it back.

Esteemed Contributor

The longer they are, the more likely they are to flip. My heavy gold byzantine flips occasionally, I just reach up and flatten it. Its worth that effort because it is so beautiful.

Valued Contributor

Yes. In order to keep it flat, it should have a soldered box clasp with at least one figure 8 safety catch. It's cheaper to make them with lobster clasps, which is why they roll. I have two Byzantines, one graduated, one non-graduated. Both rolled until I had my jeweler change the clasps. It cost $150-175 each. My graduated Byzantine still flips, but it flips evenly, not partially.