Honored Contributor

Re: Are Jewelers Still Removing Watch Links for Free?

I collect antique watches. Most of them are 14k or 18k. The watch bands are very difficult to size, so I take them to my daughter who is a jeweler to size.

My modern watches, I size myself. There are pins in the links. All you do is use a small tool to push them out and the link comes off. To put them back on, you just push the pins back in. You can purchase the tool on Amazon.

I would never remove the back of the watch myself to replace a battery. I let my daughter do it for me.

Honored Contributor

I collect antique watches. Most of them are 14k or 18k. The watch bands are very difficult to size, so I take them to my daughter who is a jeweler to size.

My modern watches, I size myself. There are pins in the links. All you do is use a small tool to push them out and the link comes off. To put them back on, you just push the pins back in. You can purchase the tool on Amazon.

I would never remove the back of the watch myself to replace a battery. I let my daughter do it for me. If the back is not properly sealed, water will ruin the watch.

Most of my local jewelry stores will size a watch at no cost. They will usually replace a battery for life if you purchased the watch there. My daughter told me that watch batteries are less then $1 to purchase wholesale.

Trusted Contributor

I just recently purchased two of the diamonique watches, one in silver and one in two tone, I have a small wrist so I have to have links taken out, went to my local jewelry store and they charged me $15.00 per watch, guess they have to make a living too and I felt it was fair because I didn't purchase from them.

Honored Contributor

I had 1 link added to a watch and he charged me $5. I don't mind, he does a great job, and I didn't buy it from him. Why should they work for free?

Respected Contributor

The store I've always gone to stopped doing it for free. It's been awhile, but the last time I went it was $5.00.

Respected Contributor

I just had five links removed from an Isaac M expansion band watch and the jeweler did it for free. I just asked how much it would cost and he said they do it for free. I have no history with them.

Honored Contributor

On 10/18/2014 gem lover said: I don't think anyone does anything for free nowadays. It usually costs under 10 dollars.
I use two different stores, and they both charge $10. I never heard of charging by the link. I think that's a rip-off. Ceramic watches are especially difficult to size, having a lot of super tiny parts. Don't try it yourself...that's why some jewelers won't do it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I just paid $25 to have some links removed from my Michele watch, but this jeweler will do free re-adjustments if necessary. Sometimes, even if they remove equal links the watch tends to shift to one side more than the other.