Respected Contributor

Re: Are Gemstone Rings ""Out""?

This must be a joke question. It's like asking if platinum has gone out of style....lol

Honored Contributor

Most of my friends don't wear makeup or jewelry, but that doesn't stop me. They are the ones missing the fun.

Valued Contributor

I don't think younger woman want to wear the jewelry styles their mothers wear.

In the magazines, if it's not status oriented, it's the opposite: edgy, fun, organic, natural.

They don't want that staid, formally set, middle-aged, GEM TV type look right now.

It will come round again. Probably with their own daughters who want the opposite of their mother's jewelry!

Honored Contributor

Jewelry is very personal.

Honored Contributor

Look at the EVINE schedule for today, loaded with gemstones shows, also JTV.

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 denisemb said:

Yes, gemstone jewelry is out. Please send all your excess pieces to denisemb as soon as possible. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

{#emotions_dlg.lol} And anything you can't fit in one bag could always be sent my way. I'd be happy to give them a good home.

Regular Contributor

On 3/31/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

Congrats on your new rings. I don't think you can use QVC as a barometer of current trends in jewelry. Their narrow pricing limits on jewelry keeps their designers limited on metals, gems and creativity.

There are many new designs in the jewelry market currently shown in B&M stores which are not remotely similar to things for sale here. Many of us love genuine antique jewelry and we are not alone. There are forums of current brides looking for victorian, edwardian, art nouveau and art deco rings that were previously worn for their special ring.

As for gemstone rings, while I agree, styles for lets say the 1970-80's may look out dated to some, they may look new to "girls" too young to remember these styles existed. Just finding rings well built in cast 14k of 18k is a real plus these days. Enjoy your rings and wear them in good health.

I agree with you about the well built cast 14 and 18K. Besides the couture and designer pieces, I've found even the regular "older" jewelry to be heavier and nicer. I got a vintage 1 carat ruby surrounded by white diamonds, with diamonds down the shank, 18K white gold for my anniversary last year and paid about $500. Compare that to the Judith Ripka pieces selling now - sterling with diamonique, watery peridots, and a ridiculous price. Thousands? No thank you. I love to shop reputable vintage jewelry sellers on ebay, and Ruby Lane. The first piece I ever bought from eBay is a huge heart-shaped purple amethyst set in 14K gold. The prongs are gold fleur-de-lis all around the stone. It's my daughter's birthstone. Of course then I had to have heart-shaped amethyst earrings to match. If it's tacky, or out, or not appreciated by the younger set, well--- too bad. I love it. I dress to please myself (and sometimes my husband). That's about it.

Regular Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Pagan said:

I don't think younger woman want to wear the jewelry styles their mothers wear.

In the magazines, if it's not status oriented, it's the opposite: edgy, fun, organic, natural.

They don't want that staid, formally set, middle-aged, GEM TV type look right now.

It will come round again. Probably with their own daughters who want the opposite of their mother's jewelry!

Then you have the daughters who apparently did not inherit the "jewelry" gene. My teenage daughter has several very nice pieces, but never wears them. She likes them, but just doesn't put them on. She's a computer nerd (had a laptop since she was six - my husband's idea), and she'd rather have art supplies or something from ThinkGeek. I'll be selling most of my collection instead of passing it on, because she won't want it, although my son may want a vintage ring to give as an engagement ring when he marries. He has mentioned that, and I feel honored he'd want to give something of mine to somebody he loves.

Respected Contributor

I think we're also forgetting how prices have gone sky high on gold and precious gemstones (i.e., tanzanite, emeralds, sapphires, rubies) - I know *I* can't afford what I bought years ago, and I'm sure younger folks have other priorities at this time of their lives.

Doesn't stop me from getting chrome diopside in sterling (waiting for my JTV ring and pendant), just 'cos I don't have CD yet, LOL.

Now if I could only find a reasonably priced morganite - and I totally envy those of you with the Levian chocolate diamonds - they're gaw-geous!!!

skuggles: I'll be happy to share my bounty with you when the crates of jewelry get delivered to my home. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Denise
Super Contributor

I have never ever ever gone by 'what's in' or 'what's out'... I buy / wear what I love and enjoy it! I'd rather be a leader than a follower! GO SET SOME TRENDS YOURSELF!