Respected Contributor

Are Diamonds Losing their Luster?

[ Edited ]

Do the younger generations want or buy diamonds? We have no young people in our family, so I am at a loss concerning how they feel about "things."  I read previous posts about little interest in china, crystal, family heirlooms. Does this translate to fine jewelry and diamonds as well? Of course concerns about the mining of stones have a big impact, but do young people even aspire to own bling?

Super Contributor

Re: Are Diamonds Losing their Luster?

A lot of millenials that I know do not even wear rings at all!

Respected Contributor

They (the younger generation) will be the 1st one's at the Jewelry store wondering how much money can they get for them?

Don't believe me, stop in at a jewelery store, they will confirm.

They want MONEY/CASH.

Regular Contributor

I don't know about the younger generation. I can only speak for myself as a 60 year old woman. I recently got my first piece of moissanite and I don't think I will ever go back to diamonds. Mine looks just like a diamond at a fraction of the cost. No real worries about losing it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pandora will no long be selling natural diamonds. All of them sold there will be created diamonds. I think that sort of shows just how unimportant natural diamonds are any more. The focus is on less carbon footprint plus the ethical side of mining.

Honored Contributor

It's hard to say, because the few diamond companies withhold several tons of diamonds mined each year.  To keep the price high.  I'm sure everyone knows that diamonds are not rare.  Color gems which are cheaper (most of them anyway) then diamonds, are much more rare.  Plus the boom in cubic zirconium (Thank you JTV who knows how to sell them) have set some customers away from diamonds.

They are putting more and more diamonds on silver with or without gold layering.  They are usually poorer quality  diamonds.  The more expensive metal you use, the better the diamonds.  The traditional good diamonds are put on 18K or platinum and that's it. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Pandora will no long be selling natural diamonds. All of them sold there will be created diamonds. I think that sort of shows just how unimportant natural diamonds are any more. The focus is on less carbon footprint plus the ethical side of mining.

I am laughing at myself for being so out of touch. I saw the post about Pandora earlier but dismissed it as just a charm bracelet company. After your mention I googled it and saw it has grown substantially since I first knew it as a line carried by gift shops who sold their charms. 

Respected Contributor

Any young lady I know that has become engaged (within in the last 5 years or so) has been sporting what appears to be a large (2 ct plus) diamond.  Wedding bands also appear to be diamond encrusted.

It is possible these "diamonds" are moissanite or CZ

Esteemed Contributor

I know QVC has done some "lab created" diamond shows; I wonder if they will become more frequent?  If I were in the market for a lab created diamond I wouldn't buy it off t.v.; would find a high end store and see them in person.  These stones are not inexpensive!

Honored Contributor

Lab diamonds have no resale value either. Most people who buy them aren't looking to buy them so that they could sell them off. They buy them for the aesthetic value. You can get a very clean lab diamond, though still expensive, for a lot less money than what a natural diamond of the same quality would cost.