Honored Contributor

Are Burmese rubies fissure filled?

People selling these imply they are not fissure filled.  (glass)  But I've not heard one person specifically say they ARE NOT FILLED.  I have a few of the African rubies that I accept are filled and if I spend the money for Burmese, I want to be sure they are not.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Are Burmese rubies fissure filled?

It does not matter where a ruby is from--any low quality stone can be glass-filled (fissure-filled) to make it look better.

A glass-filled stone has minimal value and can disintegrate, compared to regular rubies that are extremely durable.

Many stores say a ruby is "certified," meaning not glass-filled, but the stone does not come with any kind of real certification like GIA.

Most rubies are heat treated--non heat treated are rare and expensive.

Burmese rubies are stones mined in Myanmar and have a historic reputation for beautiful rich, red colors. 

In the past, QVC never sold fissure-filled rubies, although other networks have often done so.

Esteemed Contributor

If you have to ask it means that wherever you are buying from is being less than truthful.  

QVC is notorious for this.  I found long ago they even lie about turquoise.

Honored Contributor

One of my TV favorites stated only Buma rubies will fluoresce under blacklight.  So I got out my blacklight and all my rubies fluoresced.  I will not name this person in case I misunderstood him.  

Honored Contributor

There's an awful "switch and bait" going on now with turquoise to watch out for...reconstituted turquoise. The stone is made of bits and pieces left over from cutting real turquoise stones. They contain resins and dyes. They're difficult to spot and sold as "turquoise". 

Honored Contributor

I'm sure a few of my turquoise pieces are reconstituted, I'm imagining they pound it down to powder and mix it with some sort of glue. I have a triple stone band, two stones fluoresce and one does not.  It must be coming from the "glue."  I have fun with a black light, if you get bored get one from Amazon and check out your diamonds and other stones.  In some cases its a good way to check authenticity, but don't be too concerned if your stone doesn't do exactly what the chart online says it should do as far as fluorescing.