Valued Contributor

Anyone have experience re-designing jewelry pieces?

Hi Ladies,

I have never done this, but I'm interested in finding out what the experts here would think I would end up paying to have something done. Ballpark guesses are great. I will certainly eventually go to a jeweler to figure this all out. But for now it's just an idea.

I wear an anniversary band every day, but my original engagement ring and band are in a jewelry box and I have not worn them in some time. While I love my engagement ring, I could not wear it after I had kids and gained some weight. I know I could have had it resized, but now I'm thinking that perhaps, after being married for a long time, it would be fun to put the stones into a different setting?

Center round-cut diamond on platinum band. With two smaller diamonds on each side. Toying with re-setting the diamond in a different band, with, say, two sapphires on either side.

Any idea what the cost of the design work would be for something like this??

Just curious?

Any ideas or help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

TIA{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience re-designing jewelry pieces?

I had a diamond reset in a different engagement ring, small rubies set on either side of the diamond, and the ring resized for about $300, but that was before gold went up, and I was using my own diamond and a setting that had been my mom's. Hope that helps.
Valued Contributor

About 10 years ago, I had my diamonds set into my own thick and heavy gold band and it was four hundred. All I paid for really was labor, because I already had the band and the diamonds. I'm sure it's gone up a lot since then, I'll bet you would have to pay 7-8 hundred now.
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Years ago I was in a jewelry store when a woman came in who had brought in a ring to be re-designed. The jeweler, a woman, was helping me at the time, but she took the ring out and gave it to the customer to inspect. The female customer also had a male companion with her. The minute she saw the ring she started yelling at the top of her lungs that now her ring just looked like some cheap ring, and the design had not been done correctly at all. The man backed her up and added his negative opinions. The jeweler tried to help me while the two were in a dither over the ring, and I could tell she was very upset but putting a brave face on it.

I would be absolutely sure if I decided to have a ring re-done to have all the t's crossed and i's dotted. Once it's been changed, the original design is forever gone. Personally, if I were a jewelry maker/designer, I would not touch something like this.

Honored Contributor

I took a ruby ring and a sapp one from HSN and took them to a jeweler. He took all the stones out designed one gorgeous ring with them. I still paid $700 for the labor and extra gold.

Respected Contributor

I used to work at a custom jewelry store. There are many ways to get the look you want. Ready made or custom.

Since you already have your center stone spend a day with a bench jeweler, not zales, or mall jewelers.

The bench jeweler will have catalogs filled with mounts and semi mounts for all styles and some will fit your diamond. (mount has no side diamonds, semi mounts have side diamonds installed) Many settings are made to take the heads out so your diamond may be able to fit into the setting even if the head is too large or small when you look at the ring at the store.

Looking at the settings will give you an idea of the style you are attracted to and there is NO rush or pushing to get you to buy anything, you're window shopping. The jeweler may give you some input if you bring in your diamond, but he more than likely will leave you to look while he goes back to work.

Many manufactures make the same ring in multiple head sizes just a little bigger to fit many stones. You're in luck if this occurs since it's cheaper than having something custom made. I would do this at multiple jewelry stores and write down the book you like, pages and item number it's in. Many jeweler's use the same vendors so you can price compare if you find this to be true. It will work to your advantage.

Do you have the sapphires you want in your ring? If you don't this may be a good thing. It will make your ring search easer. If you find one to fit your center diamond, the jeweler can order in the side sapphires just to fit the mounting. Trying to fit two stones in one ring is very hard and may lead to having a custom made ring.

If you decide to have a custom ring take your design concept to many jewelers for quotes. Some use a auto cad program and can show you a 3D design of your ring.

How to finance this. Ready mades are cheaper as I told you above, some jewelers will allow you to use old gold to finance the ring or to melt into your ring to make it less expensive to make. Most jewelers will only use clean old gold, (mens rings with no stones, clean band ring with no prong work or very little. There is trash in the solder and can cause porosity when the wax is cast. (tons of little holes rise to the surface when the metal cools.) If you do use old gold, most will only use up to 50% the rest clean new casting grains your jeweler purchases.

Some ladies sell a handful of old gold to buy new rings. This can be good or bad depending on the price your jeweler gives you for the gold. You will be better off more than likely to sell your gold in advance to US gold buyers and take the cash to buy the mount or pay for the cast custom ring. Other wise your jeweler will make money from you for the mount and the gold....

Respected Contributor

Great advice given here. My only caveat, get an appraisal with magnified photos of your diamond from a trusted jeweler or send it to the GIA (they can also laser inscribe an ID number on the girdle of the stone). Just in case someone tries to swap out your stone, although you'll probably never be able to get it back even if you realize it.

Valued Contributor

Esmeralda--The info & advice you shared above is invaluable to me! Thank yiu sooo much for taking the time to post. Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor

Desi, shelbelle, Goldie, issie, Newnick--Thank you ALL for your replies and information. I have learned so much simply by asking! Thank you, thank you.
Respected Contributor

Glmama, you are welcome - please let us all know if you go ahead with it, and how it turns out.