Honored Contributor

Anyone feel like playing Identify This Gem?

I love it when someone puts up photos of an unknown gemstone.  If you are bored and are proficient at this, would you please put up some pics?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone feel like playing Identify This Gem?

@depglassAll you had to do was @ me.  I love doing this and have done it quite a few times in this space, since I've been a poster here.

I'll be back with one.  Give me a minute to try to fool y'all.  LOL.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

Love this game, too. I'm smart phone picture taking inept but this is more of a riddle. Longtime qvc viewers may get the answer.

A silver ring with yellow, rose and green gold designs. The lab-created gem is sometimes deep blue and sometimes an amethyst hue. What is the gemstone? Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@candyagain @Black hills gold using Hellenite, is that the right name for the lava silica material? I remember it being more of a vivid emerald green but this is my best guess.

Trusted Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

@candyagain @Black hills gold using Hellenite, is that the right name for the lava silica material? I remember it being more of a vivid emerald green but this is my best guess.

Yes! Hellenite. There was a dark green variety and a pink color, too. I never purchased the green. I have a ring with the pink stone which is sometimes a pale lilac but not really a striking stone.

I lucked out with the blue. It is gorgeous and changes color from light blue to dark blue to purple (amethyst shades).

The stone was marketed by Jim the Black Hills Gold sales rep as being made from the ashes of the Mt. Saint Helena volcanoe eruption.  Woman Wink

I miss those Black Hills Gold presentations!

Trusted Contributor

@candyagain @I remember the pink now! It was so pretty. I never saw the blue but it sounds gorgeous. I have a couple Black Hills Gold pieces but none with the stone.

And I agree, Jim was a wonderful representative. He was natural, unassuming, and had a great sense of humor. Remember his socks? 😂 I miss him too. And I miss those shows.