Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody see the diamond earring TSV?

[ Edited ]

Lab diamonds are not flawless. They are created under the same type of conditions as found in nature. Lab diamonds come with the same kind of inclusions and color variations as natural diamonds.

As you can imagine, the diamond industry has been shaken by the lab diamond sold as a gem in the jewelry market. Lab diamonds have been around for a number of years but most have been used in industrial applications. As a result of lab diamonds being gut into gems, that has brought on the need to distinguish them from natural diamond by inventing devices to do such tasks.

Super Contributor

I think these look interesting but I won’t pay that kind of money for stud earrings. They are too easy to lose and no one can tell that  my diamonique studs are not real. I’m keen to see the other items they’ll offer but the studs are an easy no for me.

Honored Contributor

So if all this is true, I'm drawing the conclusion your jeweler would appraise these with the same value as a natural stone with the same color and inclusions.  And your insurance company would cover them for the appraised value, as they do natural stones.  The next time I take an auction piece in for resizing, I'm asking my jeweler.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most jewelers can't tell the difference between a lab diamond and a natural one unless they have access to a special type of testing instrument. That equipment is very expensive and to have a diamond tested by using it will cost a lot of money. Most jewelers don't even go there. @depglass 

It's called a DiamondView Machine. It looks at the fluorescence of the surface of a diamond to determine whether or not the stone is lab grown or natural.

Honored Contributor

@IamDoodles wrote:

JTV has been selling them for several months.  They have a large inventory.  

At a higher price.

I wonder how many labs are producing these diamonds?

Do they all come from the same place.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to the GIA, China is making a great deal of them. @software 

JTV grades their lab diamonds but they don't mention the source. 

Since lab diamonds are graded, you can expect to pay more for the better quality ones just as you would natural diamonds of higher quality. 

Respected Contributor

Michelle Lau mentioned that these lab-grown diamonds (yes they are real diamonds just not mined diamonds) fall into the 2nd tier of near-colorless which would be G H I.  Colorless falls into the D E F range.  You can learn alot about lab grown diamonds on You Tube.  If you want conflict-free diamonds that don't exploit workers or fund terrorists, you can choose these lab-grown ones.  The machinery is very expensive and heats the pure carbon thousands of degrees, which would take mother nature millions of years to replicate.

Valued Contributor

Are any of you folks going to give the TSV earrings a try? I prefer yellow gold settings over white or else I might be tempted by the smallest pair. 

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

Are any of you folks going to give the TSV earrings a try? I prefer yellow gold settings over white or else I might be tempted by the smallest pair. 

No, I'm not buying them. I prefer Moissanite and strontium titanate over any diamond, especially for the price difference. My strontium studs are so sparkly...you can see them from space...lol!

Honored Contributor

I’m thrilled to love CZs set in 14k gold. Love my jewelry, wear it all the time. Lots of it from the Q 20 or so years ago.

So far, no one has raced up to me, grabbed my hand, whipped out an eye loop and screamed “It’s FAKE”.