Super Contributor

Re: Anybody see the diamond earring TSV?

My husband and I were just talking about man made diamonds the other day. I realize these stones are real and chemically the same as diamonds but I would still know the earth didn't make them.

I've seen some of the pieces and they are not cheap. I would rather save and buy a "real" diamond piece.

I think it's a great option for people who want to save a little money and don't mind if they're made in a lab.

I'm just one of those people who will never buy lab created stones of any kind. I would rather have natural diamonds and gem stones.

CamilleP,  I'm with you. My engagement ring is graded, my diamond studs are graded and so are several of my other pieces. You want to know what you're paying for.

Honored Contributor

I'm amazed they are allowed to call these diamonds.  DeBeers, where are you?  Time for a lawsuit.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I'm amazed they are allowed to call these diamonds.  DeBeers, where are you?  Time for a lawsuit.

They are real diamonds!  In today's world people are sensitive about what they buy and where it comes from. Lab diamonds are conflict-free and and an ethical choice for many.

FYI...De Beers also sells lab grown diamonds.

Honored Contributor

Is  Moissanite now also lab created?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Is  Moissanite now also lab created?

Yes, except for the original itty bitty crystal discovered by a man, Henri Moissan. @Shanus 

Moissanite exists in the earth but it's too small to use in jewelry. So they found a way to make it in a lab.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if these lab-created diamonds will soon make diamond prices plunge to junk status.

I only have a few diamond pieces, but they were costly to me. I will not buy diamonds again--ever.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

Affinity diamond studs 14K 1/2 cttw. J 382314. $699.

Fire Light Studs. 14K 1/2 cttw J 364209. $349.

***If I were going to purchase studs, I’d spend the extra money for authentic diamonds, wouldn’t you?

@Shanus 

Nope, have ‘authentic’ diamonds; I’m out and about a lot, wear lab-grown most of the time.  I travel a lot.

*** Generally, Lab-grown are not graded because essentially they are  ‘grown’ from a single source. My AIG jeweler did give me a comparison grade, just for fun, not insurance of course.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Thank you, Drythe, I am glad to know that lab-grown diamonds are usually perfect.  I am more interested now!  I admit, I am much more comfortable with lab-grown diamonds, because I know they aren't funding some warlord or drug dealer somewhere, using child soldiers and wielding terror for a weapon.

Honored Contributor

Silleeme, I will defer to you because I remember reading you had a strong chemistry background.  Me, not so much.  But here's a question for you or anyone else that might know.  The networks have been selling lab grown rubies and sappires for years, claiming they are chemically, etc., just like the real stone.  Cheap, too.  So why do these diamonds warrant such a hefty price?  As far as conflict free stones go, I would hope your jeweler and his source would certify them as such.  As for me, I buy only diamonds from estate sources, so chances are pretty good they are conflict free.  I can actually afford these, there are some good deals if one is patient.

Honored Contributor

Lab diamonds are expensive because of the equipment and the people to run that equipment costs a lot of money. The process is much more involved than creating corundum or CZs.  @depglass