Trusted Contributor

Re: Anybody buy any thing today ?

I'm still thinking about the Robert Manse kunzite color quartz drop earrings.  They look so cheerful and pretty and I own nothing in that color.  Just worried about them being heavy in my ears.  I eiither wear studs or lightweight hoops.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Nothing.  Endless silver from JAI that's oxidized.  Dabs of 14K inserted.  Sterling silver is so temporary.  Lovely shine that dims and tarnishes and ends up dull.  Then H color diamonds from Afinity.  Better off with 14K white gold.  Those H color diamonds in the yellow gold seems to dim, compared to the diamonds in the the white gold. The Afinity rep hastens to add that white 14K has the rhodium on it. Awkward moment. As though that's the reason the 14K white looks better. It's really the diamonds.

I looked at the Eterna gold.  Better then the rest of the jewelry shown.  But I didn't get anything.

@songbird    I have quite a different view of sterling.  I love it oxidized to show detail.  It is anything but temporary unless you are a Magpie or Crow and only appreciate bright shiny things.  I have sterling bangles I've worn daily for over 20 years that are untarnished and have never been polished.  In fact, I properly store my silver so rarely polish any of it. 

As silver is worn, it gets tiny, minute scratches which give it a mellow glow or patina. I'd hardly call it temporary and it is, indeed, quite beautiful.  Maybe you just don't have "the eye" for it.

I consider white gold a total waste of money as most would assume it's silver or stainless.  The purchase of any gold jewelry at this time is IMO  most unwise and a consumer rip-off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I've enjoyed watching the jewelry shows, but I'm getting tired of seeing so much Jai. I long for more variety. The Diamonique and Or Paz shows were my favorites, along with Mary Beth's inspirational jewelry. I bought some vintage Or Paz Roman glass jewelry on eBay today. I'm one of those who like shiny silver jewelry, especially Ultrafine, and don't like oxidized silver. Each to their own.
Esteemed Contributor

I wished they had shown more gold.  I will pass on the beautiful earrings because of the weak top part.  The quality is not commensurate to the price.  I do miss the jewelry of the old Gold Rush shows!  I remember thinking the jewelry was too small!  Well, tastes change.

Honored Contributor

Is Rick who hosted the Affinity diamond show that was on 10 to 11 central time married to the model Jill who was showing the jewelry? Long blonde haired gal in the pink jacket .

Flirting going on there seemed to be familiar with one another.  Almost Val. Day love is in the air !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Nothing.  Endless silver from JAI that's oxidized.  Dabs of 14K inserted.  Sterling silver is so temporary.  Lovely shine that dims and tarnishes and ends up dull.  Then H color diamonds from Afinity.  Better off with 14K white gold.  Those H color diamonds in the yellow gold seems to dim, compared to the diamonds in the the white gold. The Afinity rep hastens to add that white 14K has the rhodium on it. Awkward moment. As though that's the reason the 14K white looks better. It's really the diamonds.

I looked at the Eterna gold.  Better then the rest of the jewelry shown.  But I didn't get anything.

@songbird    I have quite a different view of sterling.  I love it oxidized to show detail.  It is anything but temporary unless you are a Magpie or Crow and only appreciate bright shiny things.  I have sterling bangles I've worn daily for over 20 years that are untarnished and have never been polished.  In fact, I properly store my silver so rarely polish any of it. 

As silver is worn, it gets tiny, minute scratches which give it a mellow glow or patina. I'd hardly call it temporary and it is, indeed, quite beautiful.  Maybe you just don't have "the eye" for it.

I consider white gold a total waste of money as most would assume it's silver or stainless.  The purchase of any gold jewelry at this time is IMO  most unwise and a consumer rip-off.

I love white shiny silver.  The way silver ought to be.  Pure silver by itself does not tarnish.  What ruins it is Sterling.  Mixing in copper (to make it strong) It also makes it tarnish. And that makes it temporary. It dulls over time and with JAI's passion for oxidation....it looks awful after a while.  I also prefer yellow gold.  I tolerate 14K, but beautiful to me is 18K &  up. White metal for jewelry is actually platinum. It's the ideal metal with diamonds.  It's been called the soulmate of diamonds...and I believe it. At least it doesn't tarnish. The only silver I own is Ultrafine. 

Honored Contributor

I didn't even tune in to the shows. It looked like a dud anyway.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of oxidation at all.  I love shiny silver jewelry.  I keep mine in a silver keeper and take a polishing cloth to it as needed. Having said that, I mostly just wear earrings these days.  I especially love omega backs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@Kachina624, I completely agree with you.  I have examples of many types of jewelry in my collection, and I have always found silver to be lovely.  I have a couple thin patterned bangles that I treasure - they were given to my mom before she married.  Likely 100 years old now, and still lovely.  I have some turquoise and silver that I love.  It will be passed down.

Yes, I have some gold.  But I agree with you that this is not the time to add to a gold collection.  Insane prices.  By the way,  nice ring you ordered.

And your usual wonderful sense of humor came through in your reply.  You are a funny girl!  

Honored Contributor

Reading this thread one would think virtually nothing was purchased yesterday.  I've noticed this on many topics, more negatives than positives.  I bought my only purchase the day before, a JAI paperclip necklace to match one of my paperclip bracelets.  I would never buy anything so trendy in gold. I patiently waited for that sale price. And speaking of JAI, the way their prices are inching up, it looks like they are heading to David Yurman territory.