Trusted Contributor

Re: Any jewelry experts? Want to oxidize silver ring plated with rhodium

@OfCourse----Try black nail polish.  That is what the jeweler I worked with would use at times.  I would go with a matte finish.---------tedEbear

Valued Contributor

Thanks, ladies, for all your suggestions.  I'm sending the ring back.  I got Peter Thomas Roth's blue topaz ring as a luncheon special this week.  It has rufenium (sp?), which is shiny dark gray, for metal.  The stone is 8.4 carats and looks very sparkly.  There are nine reviews, all five stars, so I'm optimistic that I'll like it.  He should do more of this in the shiny blackish metal.  I wonder whether he'd do a mystic topaz or mystic quartz large, sparkly stone with the black metal.  This ring is definitely unique, which is what I look for.  It hadn't sold out when I last looked, so anyone who likes the black metal might want to check it out.

Honored Contributor

@tedEbearwrote:

@OfCourse----Try black nail polish.  That is what the jeweler I worked with would use at times.  I would go with a matte finish.---------tedEbear

@tedEbear  Really, nail polish? It would chip & peel off in no time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OfCourse Do an online search for "liver of sulphur." That is what is commonly used to add patina to silver. Before trying this product please be sure to read up on how to properly use it. Good luck!

Member Since 11/20/2008
Esteemed Contributor

I picked up my newly oxidized ring on Saturday (thanks Machine for the jeweler recommendation ).  Well worth $30 (didn't want to risk screwing up an expensive custom ring).